mark poulson

SoCal source for epoxy/clear coat

I'm going crazy trying to find Decon 2 Ton clear here. I live near LAX, and have tried hobby shops, Home Depot, Lowes, Osh, Michael's, and even the Devcon website. It's really weird. Thirty years ago, when it was realitively new, all the lumber yards carried it. Now, I can't find any.

And the other epoxy you guys recommend, I think it's called Envirotex, is also a no show. I found a hobbie shop in Glendale near one of my jobs that carries it, but is out, and they don't know when it's coming in.

I live near Marina Del Rey, and the West Marine store there has their own two part epoxy they sell for boats. It comes with a choice of hardners with different rates, and it's labeled clear.

Has anyone tried that stuff?

I've got a bunch of stuff I want to clear coat and fish.

I'm all dressed up and no place to go!

http://www.texaswoodcarvers.com/Tool_Catalog/Adhesives.htm#Epoxy%20Glue You can get a 9 oz set of Devcon Two Ton epoxy here. Also, many Walmarts carry double syringes of D2T for about $2. While you're at the website, check out their tungsten wood carving Dremel bits. Nice stuff. They give good service and fair prices on epoxy and shipping in my experience.

Yeah, my elbows finally ran out of grease :) Dremel bits: The fine (120 grit?) Dremel sanding drums are inexpensive, do a great job and last a long time. I use them alot for rounding off and contouring, and for shaping lips. I have a few 1/4" dia tungsten cylinder bits and they're great for fast contouring on hardwood baits and also for drilling the recesses for 3D eyes and cavities for ballast. NEVER use them on anything but wood as it breaks off the little tungsten teeth. I drill the line tie and hanger holes with my Dremel because it's handier than a big drill. Lastly, I zip cured epoxy out of the hangers with a piece of ss wire chucked in the Dremel. All standard Dremel bits have a 1/8" shank. To use drill bits or other bits with shanks smaller than 1/8" you'll need the Dremel arbor pack (4 arbors of differing sizes). American Science & Surplus (www.sciplus.com) carries a bunch of oddball bits including sets of millimeter drill bits at cheapo prices.

Thanks for the info and source Bob. I'll check it out. I actually got a sore right elbow from filing. Now it matches my left, which is sore from throwing jerkbaits.

Nathan and Bob, I just coated some baits with Envirotex Lite, and it made the black sharpie dots on my trout baits run. Will 2 ton do the same? Do I need to seal over the sharpie before I epoxy with all epoxies?

Last, how long is the wait after coating with 2 ton before you can handle/fish a lure. Hilary at the Envirtex site said to wait 72 hrs. with their epoxy.