MadisonWI

Paint for Alumilite?

I tested one and it worked, using Createx and Dick Nite, and such. Never put any D2T on the stuff. It's been a long time since I used this stuff, but it seems there was something that needed to be done to prep it before painting, check around the Alumilite site, everything you need there. If in doubt, search for posts by a member named Husky.

Before I read a bit about it I wouldn't have thought the material used for the body would have mattered. The plastic is covered up by mulptle primes and paint so I don't fully understand chemically why a 2 part epoxy will not work. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm just looking to learn why it doesn't work for more understanding.

Thanks

I do not know if it won't work or not, and am definitely not saying it will not work, but to read and find out.

Chemical reactions would possibly take place because the paint, when the correct type is used, bonds to the surface that is painted, then subsequent layers to the previous layer. Any weakness in the layers is bad, as the entire job in compromised at that point, including the clear, which can then only 'grab' the layers, instead of the entire thing. At least that's how I think it works :) I'd do some more research, but piddled with this stuff a bit, figured out I don't really enjoy doing it, and pushed it aside in favor of things I get a kick out of.

Oh, just wanted to say that I admire you for wanting to know why, so many folks on this site want to just know how, and do things with no understanding of how it works, and end up with a product that shows that, or no idea how to fix things if they find themselves in an unusual situation!

With your attitude, you'll figure it out, and have yourself a superior bait, and that'll show. Good luck with it.