mark poulson

Wood for baits

I have tried pine and found it very light at soft. It's not my first choice of woods but it would work fine I'm sure. I think suicks are made of pine but I'm not sure about that. I would suggest you try some poplar. Wood is cheap....at most it will cost you maybe 50 cents for a blank........the cost comes in when you figure your time, not materials.

Jed V.

I tried pine on several different styles of musky baits this year and it worked out great. Caught a number of fish with those baits and had no problems. Pine has a nice twitchy/bouncy character to it and the baits are very lively in the water.

I always try to select a portion of the pine wood stock that is clear of knots and other flaws.

I've used pine on big poppers and swimbaits for years, I've made over 2000 of them and never had one fail with a good sealer, primer, paint, and 2 coats of 2 part epoxy. I've caught striper, amberjacks, pompano, largemouth, etc. up to 30 pounds, we tested the strength on a iziorline machine and the line broke at 122 pounds and the 4x v.m.c. hooks bent a little. but the wood is fine. I do like cedar, and poplar but in S. Cal i havent found anything but pine and some heavy wood.

I have both white Pine and kiln dried vertical grain douglas fir left over from some jobs, and I just bought a piece of 8/4 poplar. I love how easy pine is to shape. I'm going to try the poplar next week. This weekend, I am going to the Anglers Marine Bass-A-Thon Saturday, and then I have a club tourney on Sunday at Castaic. But Monday, after I lay a few bricks, I'll be in the Garage, carving the poplar. It looks like a good, even textured wood. I hope it sands up smoother than the fir I've used.