Big Lou 481

Old school vs. new Bagley BB3

OK, he bought a bait back in 1972 and it was one of the 10-15% of that model that worked and caught fish (mostly uneducated bass back then, vs bass with graduate degrees like now). Anyway, before that bait exploded from water absorption, it was a winner. But it went the way of all wooden baits that get fished eventually. So now he has a bad case of Bait Nostalgia, an disease including auditory delusions of a small voice whispering "If you only could get a bait just like Ole Blue, fish would surely be jumping in the boat again". Unless you can go back in your time machine, or can dig "Ole Blue" out of the local landfill, it ain't happening. Every wood bait is unique and once lost or broken, will never exist again. Think you can make him happy? Building great baits is the best we can do. Building wonderful memories is up to the fishermen who use them.

Bob hit the nail on the head. The guts of the new lures are still like the old ones. Bagley has not changed the way they pour there belly weights and brass wire is brass wire. The lips are different. And you can make lips like the originals easily. The one thing that I have noticed is that the bodies of the old lures were much better porportioned. Many of the new ones were turned in the Dominican Republic. Quality and shape of the body sucked.

Skeeter

The Favorite for myself and others in this area is the DKBII .. with the old "Flat Lipped" .. with "Tunein Button" being the top of the heap ... it was far more fragil and I think most of them were Balsa before they started using Jutlan (SP) ... The action and the speed of dive was far better and I belive they jumped stumps better.

JSC

Hello, I'm about six feet deep right now and.....I buy old lures.

I straddle the fence on this topic. I love the technology of newer plugs...not too many jerk baits out there in the old days like a Pointer 78 or 65. The shifting weight system causes a ridiculous action in the water, that is almost unmatched in my opinion, BUT the action of a 76' Honey Bee and the action of one produced today is different for sure and for some reason the Bass like it more...again, in my opinion. Fishing with a B1 made in the 70's is my choice over one made current anyday.

:twocents::tipsy:

I am having a little difficulty absorbing what I am reading here. In the first place, what's the problem? If you have a customer that wants a copy of a bait from '72 give it to him, or tell him you can't make it. Some of you guys are talking about how the old baits didn't hold up, I thought that was why a lot of us got into baitmaking. After all, back in the late '60s and '70s the technology that is here today was not around. We here know what most of the problems were with early baits, however, they certainly caught more than their share of bass. I, for one, still feel that balsa is one of the best woods for crankbaits due to its' bouancy. That is why I make them. That and the fact that you cannot find a good balsa crank (save Rapala) on the market. I feel that I also have better quality control than most companies. Enough rambling, I would suspect that the guy wanting a '72 Bagley bait is not nostalgic, he just wants a bait that fishes well.

Just my .02, or was that a nickle?

David

The reason the baits from the 70-80's had a crazy fish catching action was due to the super light balsa wood used, imho. I would never use ul balsa to build a bait, but back then I think that was what they had to use. I've tried making some copies for a guy that just loves B2 and B3 from early 80's and the wood is the only difference between those baits and mine in materials used. But the action of both baits is very different.