Rodney P

Would this work for a painting room?

I have a couple options for a painting room. One is my 12x20 utility building and the other is a 4x8 exterior storage room attached to the house.

I really want to use the 4x8 room attached to the house for several reasons, but the paint smell cannot make it to the house. I am going to be using createx paint only and I am not sure what kind of odor it has. I will not be spraying the automotive paint, and if I ever do, I would move the operation to the utility building.

None of the walls of the storage room attach to the house but my attic access is in this room so there is a path for odor to make it in the house. I can post pictures if need be. My plan is to run a duct from my heat pump system to the room to keep it at room temp. I am then going to insulate the room and if need be I can install the bathroom exhaust fan to route the paint fumes outside. I am sure I can do all of this for less than 250.00. I could store my supplies here and not drag them from the house to the building every time I want to paint. This would also be my cheapest long-term option by far. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Just understand that if it's well-nsulated, that room is going to be much warmer in winter and much colder in summer than the rest of the house, unless you only have a small amount of air coming in through that ductwork. The thermostat in your house only controls the temperature in the room it's actually in, the rest of the rooms are at the mercy of how well they're insulated and how much air comes out of the ductwork.

Some of the Createx pearl colors have an odor to them but nothing real bad. Other than that, there's a slight odor in the other colors, but without ventilation or filtration of some sort, you'll quickly be in a cloud of paint. You can basically build a box iwth an open front. Put a bathroom fan in the back of it and a filter before the fan. Make sure the airflow is enough that all the paint goes into it and that the filter is fine enough to catch the droplets. Withthe createx, you don't have to worry about ventilating it to the outside, there's no fumes to worry about.

Createx claims to be non-toxic, but I'd still be worried about inhaling much of the paint droplets that are airborn. Not that it's going to poison me, but I'd be worried with it settling in my lungs and affecting gas exchange longterm. When I was painting without a spraybooth, in a decent sized garage, if I didn't remember to put on my dust mask, I'd quickly notice that all the hair in my nose was caked in paint.

I think if you use the 4x8 room, you're quickly going to realize it's too small. Not that you can't paint in there, but I take up way way more room than that with my painting stuff. You also may be overwhelmed with a cloud of createx if your filtration isn't good enough.

You can paint anywhere with createx.........for a long time I painted with no mask at all and never noticed a bit of effects from it.......twitch, twitch, step drag, step drag. :eek:

Honestly, the only thing I wear now is a cotton mask because I would agree there could be some long term damage from the stuff even though they say it's "non-toxic". I would paint where you are the most comfortable.

Worry more about clear coat, it's the dangerous stuff!!

RM

If you get hooked on painting, and most of us do, you will paint enough that you should be very concerned about the long term effects of suspended paint paint particulate.

Fabricate a spray booth. Use it and a respirator.

Secondly, a cloud of overspray is noticeable enough that it can become a distraction to the painting process. It can cause you to paint with less concentration and efficiency at least to one degree or another. A spray booth eliminates that distraction.

If you're going to take the time and go to the trouble to set it up, set it up right and be done with it. Only then can you fully enjoy this hobby.

kb here i have read all the post on your subject and the one that fat fingers say' s about concretion on the lure is the most important. every body has a different tollarance for paint i have been a auto body painter for 40 some years and ia'm 72 years old and have painted about all the real bad isonationes they make and never has bothered me. some people it does. that size of room for me would be big enough. i normaly paint only about 5-6 lures at a time and there is not enough overspray to bother any thing and by the time air hits the overspray its half dry just my opinion kb

Clamboni is right on the ductwork situation. Plus there will be some overspray migration into the house without a damper system. I own a hvac business and would not recommend doing this.:nono:

kb here man you are talking about a waterbase paint they even let little kids use with no harm. i could name a 100 things in your house that are more harmfull. some times the epa people and there ways of doing business is foolish kb:yes:

kb here man you are talking about a waterbase paint they even let little kids use with no harm. i could name a 100 things in your house that are more harmfull. some times the epa people and there ways of doing business is foolish kb:yes:

Yeah, but when little kids are using them, they're not atomizing them like we are with the airbrushes. Trust me....ANY particulate stuff in your lungs in large amounts and over time is bad for you. Your lungs can't get rid of a lot of this stuff and it stays there, reducing gas exchange. Probably not going to cause cancer or anything like that, but still possibly harmful. Besides, why not spend $50 to build a decent booth and keep the cloud out of the room?