Kribman

Help a Newbie!

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself. I go by Kribman and I live just north of Chicago. I love to fish as does everyone else here. Just a quick intro. But also, i am new to lure making and am curious about the walkthrough steps of making Muskie crankbaits. I have formed a 7'' Jake like lure and have sanded it down and everything. From my vague knowledge of through wire construction, I cut a large slice down the front belly of the lure. But I am stuck here. Should I seal now? How do I get the wire and lip to stay in the lure. And finally, when you make mesh scales, do you start by;

1. doing an undercoat of paint

2. apply the mesh with glue

3. paint over the mesh?

This seems like a lot, but I really do need help just to get started. Thanks a bunch

Kribman. I do not know what a Jake bait is, so I can't help you much here. I would suggest you use the search feature (top tool bar) for a start, as there will is heaps of info about the subjects you requested there. Otherwise sit tight and someone will jump on this with an answer. Just noticed the time there, you may have to wait until tomorrow. pete

Have you weighted the lure yet? If not now might be a good time to do this.

I an not an expert on this part but you might try plumbers epoxy/putty to secure the wire.

Wait till the end to put the lip in. Then 5 Min. Devcon should secure it fine.

After you weight and wire the bait then seal it. Then prime it or just start painting. For the scale pattern (I am not sure if you are talking about painting the scales or applying them under foil). If you want to paint them you should paint a lighter base color then wrap the bait with the mesh/netting and then paint a darker fade on the sides and paint a little darker on the back. Remove the netting and you will have your scale patterns. To hold the bait in place I use a large embroidery hoop with 2 pieces of netting in it. Then after it is stretched I cut a slit that I can slide the bait into and it will hold it in place while I paint the bait.

Others have built frames with hinges that will hold the netting on both sides and I like that idea better but have not built one yet.

Now I am a bit confused, because i have done a web search and a lure maker simply cut a slice about 3/5 of the way up the belly and simply slid the wires in. Are you suggestion that I cut the lure in half, then weight it and put wire in? Not that this will be too difficult, I just need to know how to get the lure back together after i cut it.

And for future reference for people reading this post, here is a Jake:

prodJakeLgImg.jpg

prodJakeLgImg.jpg

prodJakeLgImg.jpg

prodJakeLgImg.jpg

prodJakeLgImg.jpg

prodJakeLgImg.jpg

prodJakeLgImg.jpg

prodJakeLgImg.jpg

2423_thumb.attach

Kribman, based on your description, I don't think a thru-wire constucted that way will hold up to musky. What type of wood are you using? If you're using hard wood like maple you should be fine with just screw eyes.

Hazmail, has a nice tutorial on thru-wire constuction you should read. It will give you some great ideas on how the process is done, just expand on it for musky sized lures...

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10686

Most guys use Devcon epoxy to keep it all together.

Remember "search" is your friend. Use it and you should find most of what you need to help you along the way.

As for the mesh, it would be really helpful if we knew what process you plan to use. Are you airbrushing? hand painting? foiling? spray cans?

Good luck.

Now I am a bit confused, because i have done a web search and a lure maker simply cut a slice about 3/5 of the way up the belly and simply slid the wires in. Are you suggestion that I cut the lure in half, then weight it and put wire in? Not that this will be too difficult, I just need to know how to get the lure back together after i cut it.

And for future reference for people reading this post, here is a Jake:

Yes, that's right. Cut in half, make grooves for wire, add weight, put wire in and then "glue" it back together. Most guys use Devcon epoxy - 5 Min epoxy should be fine.

Thanks Bruce, but there is nothing around her that would take a lure that big (except cod), if I was up North (Northern Territory or Queensland) I would certainly give it a go, just thinking****maybe the old Flathead (Salt water lakes) may attack something that big- better get to it , I'm going after them in Feb. pete