chuknwind

masking for painting

Hello to all, this is the best forum I've found on the web and I just wanted to thank all the guys who but the thing together. I've been painting my own baits for a couple years and I aways seem to have trouble taking off the masking tape from the bill of the lure. The hangers for the hooks give me fits sometimes too depending on how many coats of finish I put on. Is there a better way to protect the bill and hangers other than regular masking tape? Thanks, Ed

You can buy a low stick masking tape. It does come off better. Try to avoid getting epoxy on the tape if at all possible. If you'll notice, most baits have a very small portion of the bill painted. This is to give yourself a little room to play with. Also, remove the masking tape as soon as you can. The longer it stays on, the harder to remove. :wink:

chuk,

If you are not trying to create a bunch of detail I have a trick that works well for me. Rip off a piece of masking tape long enough to cover your work area. Stick one end of the tape on the lure allowing only maybe 1/4 inch or so to stick. Then......instead of wrapping the tape on as you normally, flip it over itself and wrap with the non-stick side against the lure. Keep some pressure on it so it's tight and when you get all the way around it will easily stick to itself since you have the "sticky side out". Good luck!

RM

Guest Anonymous

:D The 3-m blue maskin tape used for house painting is all I use! It is low tack, seals well, and comes off like a breeze. It is also the least costly way I have found with great results.

I used to buy hobby masking materials, but they cost too much and you dont get much material.

Chip :wink: