rlcam

Cleaning hook hangers

After painting,how do you guys clean up hookhangers and line ties?Other than cleaning out the hole.Also when you paint and clear do you try not to get it on them,seems like if it gets up on them some after awhile the hanger gets a little stress on it and the paint and clear would be prone to cracking and water seepage

rlcam... I dont know about the rest of the guys... but I put the clear in the O ring holders on purpose.. I want to seal the LURE COMPLETELY!!! so water cant get in their... as for cleaning it out.. I was burning it out with a hit gun.. but the smoke of the epoxy is TOXIC!!! so.. now I take a dremmel and very small bit and grind out the clear!!! Hope this helps.

Rlcam, it's 16:30 here in Malaysia and I've started my three weeks holiday break. It's way too hot to venture outside, close to 90F.

As for the eyes, I try not to close the hole with the top coat. If it does, I poke it in the eye with a sharp stick while it is still wet.

Once the top coat is dry and you start messing about with it, you always run the risk of disturbing the seal and allow a path for the water to be sucked in.

Before you fish the lure, it is warm. It's been in the trunk of your heated car. The sun is shining and all is well. But, the water is cold. The sudden chill contracts the air inside the wood and water will be drawn in through any breaches of the seal.

I'm not saying that it is a bad idea to remove the dry excess, you just need to take care and be aware of the consequences of careless practices.

Another good practise is to clean up the hanger wires with a solvent and maybe a piece of fresh scotchbrite before painting. Make sure that you do not touch them again with your fingers. While you are doing that, clean the faces of any clamps that you intend to use. The same goes for the whole body. Once the body is sealed, you should not touch it with bare fingers.

Anal? maybe, but it only takes a minute or two.

rlcam,

Just another option.......I always get some clear and paint on hangers and such. I take a small thickness wire wheel on my dremel and clean of the outside real good then take a small finish nail in my fingers and while spinning it clean out any on the inside. Not only does the wheel clean it good it also polishes it.