Joe

sanding trick

Hi Guys, If any of you are like me, the least favorite part of making lures is the sanding. I have been doing something for about a week now and it works great. I'm not sure where the idea came from, so I don't know who to give credit to. Take several 4" lengths of various dia. plastic pipe. Cut the pipe length wise. This gives you two exact halves 4" long. To the haves, apply some sticky backed sand paper, several different grades on each size pipe. The inner side of the pipe can be used to sand tops, backs and belly's of lures and the outer side, when covered can be used to sand the inner bends of baits. The best part of doing this, is that the tops and bottoms are are perfect mirror images , perfectly ballanced as far as shape goes, right side vs. left side. I would think this would work well for those of you who are using balsa as it is very soft and I'm sure you could shape much of the bait this way leaving less to carve with a knife. Let me know what you think. Joe

Hi Guys, I found another use for the pvc pipe. Cut a length of 1 !/4 in. pipe in half lengthwise just like the sanding tool. Glue this peice of pipe to a 3 in. wide by 6 in. long peice of 1/4 in. plywood with the concave side facing up. Be very careful to keep the pipe level and straight. Take some 1/4 in. thick foam packing material and glue it to the inside of the pipe. Next time you have need to cut a slot for a crankbait after it has been carved, all you do is place it in the recessed area of the pipe, push down, the foam will hold it in place, and proceed to cut the slot. No rocking or moving out of position. Joe