knifemaker3

I'm getting volcanoes in my fluid bed?

Just got my bed together. Have a 20-60 gallonpump and coffee filter membrane on a 3" drain pipe bed.

I only have the small jars of powder paint. Dropped one in the cup and turned on the air. I adjusted until I saw just a slight rise in the paint, maybe a 1/4 turn on my valve. Just barely opened.

Everything is ok until I bump the bed and then I get volcanoes and paint spouts out onto the bench. :eek: The cup is 4'' deep. The paint is @ 1-1 1/2" deep in bottom of cup.

Do I need more paint in the cup? would I be better off to switch to a 2" cup?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Craig

Craig,

Sounds to me like your air pump is too big. Not sure what the small aquarium pumps are rated at, but they work just fine. You can operate a fluid bed while the powder is volcanoing, but definitely not recommended. All you are doing is putting most of the powder into the air in your shop. Many guys use the coffee filter as a membrane, but the one you are using may not be fine enough and allowing too much air to pass into the cup.

Where in Booger County you located?

George, thanks for the reply. I'm about 15-20 miles east of Ava around Denlow if you know where that is.

They had 2 different sizes at Walmart on the pumps. One for 5 gal aquarium and this one. This one has two outlets like the ones I see on most of the ones you buy. Figured it was the one needed. I'll play with it some more and see what happens.

Thanks!

I just got mine together I am using the smaller pump from walmart and it is doing fine. I also had the volcanoes using the filter then I used the trick of using the lunch sack and it solved the problem no more volcanoes. I painted 60 spoons and 40 jigs today with this set up.

Hey thanks for the reply. I see you are from Springfield MO. I'm only about 80 miles east of ya. 60 highway to Norwood and then south into Douglas (Booger) County. Good to see some other ozark hillbillies on here :lol:

Craig

George,

Yes I think I have the problem taken care of now. I switched to the paper bag and can get more air and better results before getting the volcano effect.

You are close to some great fishing in your area. Do you ever fish Oklahoma any? Great whitebass fishing @ langley oklahoma. Used to go there several years ago with my father-in-law.

I just fish Bull Shoals @ Theodosia/Pontiac area and the upper end of NorthFork lake.

Have a good one and thanks to everyone for the replies. I think I have the problem solved now with my fluid bed.

Craig