dampeoples

New Badgers this month

Badger is releasing a new set of brushes late this month, the Renegade series. They're aimed at the custom automotive market, so they have such things as teflon seals (making them solvent proof), and more detail oriented needle/nozzle combinations. The three in the new set are the Rage, which is a bottle fed, with a .33 tip, the Velocity, which is a 1/3 oz. gravity feed with a .21 tip, as well as the Spirit, a side feed with the same .21 tip. Each is under $100, and I've been reading about their warranties, which is 25 years, and they say that they'll fix it if you break it, even from stupid stuff like dropping it.

I don't like the cut-away handle missing, the more I learn to control paint, the less I use it to blast a clog, but it's still nice to have, and keeps the tail end a bit more balanced. I asked Ken at Badger about that, and it's supposed to be balanced, there is a slimmer section to the brush in the handle.

I've been an Iwata guy, but at the inflated price, I've started to search other brands as well, as there are a TON of folks here that prove every day that it's the guy holding the brush, not the brush that makes the paint do wonderful things. Well, I'll find out myself soon :) Gonna get a few different models/brands to check out as well. I know it goes against my general advice of buy what you can get parts for locally, but I have a good stock of brushes/parts now, and while one of my new purchases may become my new favorite, or workhorse, I'll be sure to stock up, nothing like a bent needle to ruin the workflow!

I'll be checking them out, thanks to your endorsement.

I am looking for a brush for finer details. That .21 tip gravity feed looks like a good option at a good price.

I know, you can do it with stencils, but I still would like to be able to free hand it, even if I have to use one hand to steady the other. :o)

It depends on the paint, and the size of the pigments. I've tried to shoot everything through my smaller tip brushes, and end up just remembering what works with what brush. You can thin these paints, but the particle size will always be the same (speaking of pearls and such). Yeah, the flip flop paints are pretty big, as they use a funny shaped 'flake' to achieve this effect. They can be sprayed through a smaller brush, but will often spit when you don't want them to.