HellRAISER

white pearl

I believe that what makes the peral effect are actual solid additives put into the paint. I don't think that mixing colors will get the same effect, though I have come close when using a black basecoat, fogged with silver, then fogged with white.

I find that a dark base coat usually makes the colors "pop" more.

I know an auto painter that is really into the newer paint effects with holos, pearls, metallics, flip-flops etc. I have never seen him do radical paint job using those effects without using a DARK basecoat.

Great starter tips on Pearls, Candies and Flakes on this website. There might be more in depth tips available, but I think the next step would be to buy some and start experimenting.

http://www.paintwithpearl.com/tips.htm

Most pearls cost $10 - $30 per oz. This company sells some auction style on e bay and starts all of them at .99. Auctions on many colors close at $2-$5 / 1oz. bag and additional shipping is about $1 per extra auction. 1oz. (28.3495231 grams) will mix 2 to 4 quarts (1.8927059-3.7854118 liters) of paint and that is a lot of baits. The quality of these are great.

Try this search (Color Change flip chameleon).