rlcam

Fluid bed Question

I have missed something on making a fluid bed,I think.Once you have the base,have your air inlet mounted,and you put the cup in the top.Is there a bottom to the cup with holes in it or do you put the paper over the base and wedge the cup in and then pour the paint in.I guess I want to know if the cup has holes or is it just a length of pipe wedged in with the paper over the bottom.Hope this sounds like I know what I'm talking about...I think...God it's late and i'm soooo confused, I think.Thanks guys for any help......Robert

For better or worse, I had the same question a few months ago. The brown paper sack got the best reviews by other members and put a thin bead of silicon RTV on the bottom of the cup and put it on a single layer of the paper bag with 3 Tom Clancy novels on it over night. Next morning I took an exacto knife around the outside of the cup to trim off the excess. If I every need to replace it, I'll just pull the old one off, clean it, slap a new one on.

Hope that gets you up and going.

Brian

You will still need to use an inline valve or a valve mounted on the fluid bed. I use inline valves because I have tubing quick connects mounted to the bed. The valve acts like a pressure regulator. When switching colors I change the bed and cup - don't have to clean anything. Seldom use the fluid beds anymore - mostly for single colors.

Brian

You will still need to use an inline valve or a valve mounted on the fluid bed. I use inline valves because I have tubing quick connects mounted to the bed. The valve acts like a pressure regulator. When switching colors I change the bed and cup - don't have to clean anything. Seldom use the fluid beds anymore - mostly for single colors.

Brian, I will agree 100% with LedHed in regards to " Seldom use the fluid beds anymore, except mostly for single colors". When you get to the point when you are doing 5 and 6 colors like myself and Ledhed, and when you are blending these colors to get special effects, the fluid bed at that point becomes obsolete. If you are only going to do one color on the entire jig, then you can't beat it. Just remember, the world is open only to your imagination.

I appreciate the help guys. I need a bed for production and good results, thats the bottom line. I've got regulators and air comps, filters etc. I just need to figure out my winning combination without spending more money.

BTW, cadman: A fellow at another forum sent me your FB plans yesterday. That takes all the mystery out it for me, nice work, thanks.