rossrods

my 3d model of a swim bait

Hey folks here is my next design project, It will be a mold of a jointed swimbait, you can see from the rendering its already been modeled in 3d-cad and is ready to be cnc'd. Before I cut , can someone give some info on width x height of a swimbait. I am planning on this one being around 8 inches in length and around 1.75" in height,and 5/8" in width, Is that close to what some of you all have fished with? Also any ideas is appreciated.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii210/rossrods/jointedswimbait.jpg

Hey spike a pike, Going toward the direction of a large/ big bucket, mouth bass. I live in the state of the world record largemouth, LOL. Hope they will bite it. Plus it looks neat going thru the water, if I get bored I can just cast it, and pretend I have a fish on, right. No, seriously someone asked If I could design one, and I said I would try it. No idea where the use something like that to fish with. You know you just gave me a tournment gag idea, I should make one about 24" cast that and fight it in front of a on looker,boy that would be a conservation piece.

Here is my advice to you. If it was me, I would make some protos out of wood first to see if all is right. Otherwise, you may find yourself machining several molds of duds that won't swim right before you get it right. It all comes down to what is easier for you though I guess. Making molds of prototypes, or carving them out of wood. I wish you luck and can't wait to see the results.

If I were you, I would take a look at some of the successful jointed swimbaits on the market for ideas. Can't hurt, and it may help you with general ideas about shape, segment lenghts, and hook placements.

Exactly. I have learned the hard way that coming up with an effective design usually happens after a long period of playing copy-cat. Take a carefull look at weight and hook placement, as well as hydrodynamics of similar baits (BBZ-1).