338muskie

My new trolling lure

These are some of the new trolling lure I'm makeing. What you think so far. You guys have helped me alot form the reading I've ben doing here at TU. the body is 12 inch long and with the lip its about 13 1/2 inch long. Now I'm weighting for my DN order to come in to clear coat them. I'm going to try some painting tonight on them and maybe some foil too. Any tips?? lures108004mz1.jpg

Thanks

Take it to a local gym, and just tell the person at the desk that you want to take your 12 incher for a swim.

Be sure no one else is in the pool. It's important to test with the hooks on.

My son's friend is a lifeguard at the local YMCA, so I can do testing there if it's slow. All it costs me is a ton of food everytime he comes over. Bottomless pit!

338muskie.

Those are really looking very good. I think you're being smart by having them at different stages of completion until you can confirm how they work in the water. Mark is right about taking them swimming at a local pool, but that to maybe easier said than done.

PikeMastaRapp.

See the following thread... We take test tanks very seriously (sorta') ;)

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11085&highlight=test+tank

Thanks Spike-a-pike. Last night I did finsh up the other blanks like the frist one it was only a total of 8 all out of white oak. And I've got at ton of oak in the back yard and clear red ceader from my old barm and wood silo I tor down a few years ago. Real nice 100 year old wood. I've ben heating the house with a lot of it in the wood stove. I did get a piece of basswood today 1x6 by 24 and I'm going to cut out 6 more blanks this weekend till my DN order comes in to clear coat them. Looks like its going to get to 40 here on monday so I'll have to make a trip down to the river and cast them in an see how they run like Snax does in his video's. When I picked up the basswood today they had a bunch or exotic wood their. I saw some black ebony wood their. I was thinking it would make a cool looking lure. But it is a heaver wood and would that make the lure run deeper?

Thanks 338Muskie

Strangely enough, the density of the wood will have very little effect on the depth that the lure will swim. It is all down to the combination of lip, ballast and eye geometry. However, the denser wood will restrict the action, due to its inertia or reluctance to move.

Don't let that stop you though. I saw a really nice ebony lure made several months ago, on this site. No paint, just naturaal wood and clear finish.

338 Muskie.

If you where to go out and buy 3 custom black ebony wood lures, I think you'd be lucky to get one for just $31.00. See how the one's you're working on go, it may be an investment.

By the by, if you've been a member since Jul 2004, don't you think you've been here long enough to trust us and add a little more info to your personal profile??? Today I can remember you are from MI, next week, northern mid-west, next month, the US, I think... or was it Canada???