senkoman85

Advice on Stencils?

I am looking to make a set of stencils for baits...gills, scales, lines, ect.

What material do you use to cut the shapes out, and are they "permanent" for you? As in...more then just a one time use ordeal.

I have been using business cards and they work, but don't work GREAT.

Also, how do you line up the stencil for the same results every time? How do you keep it pressed onto or close to the bait?

Thanks for any help!

I don't like stiff stencils because I want it to make contact around the curved sides of the bait. I tried "light tack" adhesive stencil and it pulled paint off the bait when it was removed, plus it's not reusable. So now I still use the light tack stencil material (a soft plastic with a paper backing) but I leave on the backing. A couple of advantages - you can just flip it over and use it for both sides of the bait, then keep the stencil for reuse. Plus it's thin enough to bend well around the bait and easy to cut with an Xacto knife. A roll of the stuff will last almost forever.

For scales I use netting held on by clamps. I spray the paint and heatset it while the netting is still on there and then peal it off. You can use that stuff over and over and it's cheap too. I use a 99 cent comb for lines and use different sides of the comb depending on what size lines I want. I havn;t experimented with Frisket stuff yet but may do that do some gills and bluegill patterns I have in mind.

I use a couple different things for stencils. If it's a little heavier plastic and it doesn't need to be reversed for opposite sideds, I'll heat it up a little and put a bit of a bend in it. The binder sheet protectors work well. I've also used plastic from ziplock bags, index cards, thin cardboard, and plain paper. Like Bruce said, anything solid enough to block the paint will work.

WalMart sells clear plastic stencil sheets,that way you can see where you are on the bait.I got some last week and it works pretty good.I cut ou various size gills,stripes,crawfish patterns and a jagged lateral line for baby bass patterns.It's just a little stiff for use on round baits,you have to set something on the edges to get it to shape to the bait...Robert