rlcam

Question for Tigger

Just checked out some of you lures on the gallery.Those are some of the most unique baits I have ever seen.If you dont care to divulge your method,how do you do the copper scales?Some look like you use screen mesh.Thay look like you paint and maybe sand a little off of the top of the mesh.Just wondering,no way I could ever do it though.Those are freakin awesome man...Robert

This caught me by suprise doing my daily surfing. Thanks about the kind words about the baits. Yes the process of the sanding the mesh screen is correct. Butt....... you have to be very carefull about sanding thru the material. You can throw away a whole bucket of the lures real fast with it.

The larger scales can be achieved in many ways. I don't want to be sneaky but I you put me in a pinch a bit. Hints. You can do what some furniture veneer people do to achieve a similiar effect. It is called Vacume pressing. You suck the air out of a bag to with the object inside. The other way is to imprint thicker metal and apply but your really limited to the size and curve of the baits.

The copper foil. If you were to look up shielding tape for electronics you may find some neat stuff there. You can find it on ebay also. I will see if I can find it and put on a link here.

Here is link

http://www.warmoth.com/supplies/supplies.cfm?fuseaction=copper_shielding

You can see it is not cheap. Some of those lures I have 5 dollars in copper in them! LOL

Here is a link to a 3m product. It is embossed copper tape.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/electronics_mfg/esm/node_GS40SM1FPTgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_DPB1Q1MJ7Nge/bgel_LBBV2SRH45bl/gvel_4BSQ4C5VF8gl/theme_us_electronicsesm_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_htm

I will attach a walleye bait that i made with it. I has a nice little scale pattern to it. The copper is very thin. If you try the sand after paint method be careful. They don't waste the copper on thickness!!!!!!! LOL

I hope this helps

John

Icefishing this weekend!!!!!!!!! finally got fishable ice here in Cleveland, Oh!!!!!!!!!! Watchout crappies and bluegills! LOL

DSC05295blackhead.jpg

DSC05277metalsmelt.jpg

DSC05295blackhead.jpg

DSC05277metalsmelt.jpg

DSC05295blackhead.jpg

DSC05277metalsmelt.jpg

DSC05295blackhead.jpg

DSC05277metalsmelt.jpg

DSC05295blackhead.jpg

DSC05277metalsmelt.jpg

DSC05295blackhead.jpg

DSC05277metalsmelt.jpg

DSC05295blackhead.jpg

DSC05277metalsmelt.jpg

DSC05295blackhead.jpg

DSC05277metalsmelt.jpg

2585_thumb.attach

2586_thumb.attach

Thats a couple of good looking baits there.I wasn't trying to get any trade secrets out of you,just was curious.I'm quite sure I will never be able to do that,but thanks for the info,that is one neat way to do them.I'm still doing rattle cans for now but can't wait to move up a level....Robert