338muskie

Stencil cutting

Hi there, I like to use the clear vinyl material that comes in about 4 foot widths at WalMart. You can buy it by the yard and in different thickness's. The real light stuff doesn't work real well. I think they have 4-5 different thickness's. I use either the second or third heavier. The reason I like the clear is because you can see where you locating the stencil on the lure. Spray your paint, dry with a hairdryer, remove and then wash off the paint, reverse or put the side that just had the paint on it against the lure on the opposite side. Spray your paint, dry, and then remove and wash paint off vinyl stencil with water and a stiff brush in a small pan. When I make the stencil I put the pattern on by using a sharpie pen. Then lay it on a piece of tempered glass and cut it out using a razor knife. One stencil will last for alot of lures. One other big reason I like the vinyl is that even if your lure is hard to get the stencil to fit, you can warm it up with a hairdryer and stretch it tight to fit. Just don't over heat it or you could ruin your paint job on the lure. I hope this helps out. Ken

You guys are making this way more complicated than it is. A stencil is nothing more than something that blocks paint except where you want it to spray. That's it. Doesn't matter how you get the design, how you cut it, where you cut it, or even if you cut yourself doing it. The only differences are how long it'll last, and how bendy the material is.