chuknwind

How to repair old lure?

chuknwind,

If you are going to repaint the lure then there are two ways to do it.

1. Sand the lure down untill everything is smooth. Repair holes with wood putty, repaint it and then clearcoat the lure.

2. Repair any holes with wood putty, clearcoat the lure untill the surface is smooth, repaint the lure over the clearcoat (only if you are using lacquer paint) and then clearcoat the lure again after painting.

Skeeter

chuknwind,

I didn't see the picture the first time I pulled up the post. Now I see what the problem is. Even though the body looks yellowish I take it that this is a carp colored bait. (brown stripe and scales with a whitish or cream colored body) If you can match the paint color then mix in some of that color paint with some Devcon and smooth it into the crack and then clearcoat the lure. If not, seal the crack with wood putty and cover the vein crack with it also. Mask off the lip and the line tie and hook hangers. Then shoot a matching color paint on the body of the lure below the scales. Leave the original scales alone. You can shoot the paint over the original clearcoat. I have done this with water based latex enamel (house paint) before on a DBIII that I found floating in the water. You can get a pint at Lowes for less than $3.00. It will stick just fine. Createx might work, Lacquer definitely will work. Then clearcoat the lure. Or if you really just want to leave it alone and just protect the lure I would just clearcoat it with Devcon and leave it with its original paint and battle scar. The extra coats of paint or Devcon will not hurt the action or the ballance of the bait. Bagley weighted their baits pretty light. Too light in my opinion. They can take ALOT of extra weight before it messes with the action or it floating ability. Thanks for the compliment.

Skeeter

I think all the advice will work.. one thing all the advice suggest clear coating the last coats which will seal the lure..

but in my day job.. I own Southside Upholstery & Auto Trim we are re working wood and car bodies on a regular bases.. the thing that jumped out at me was wood putty.. now if you use a water seal putty it should work fine.. and like I said your clear coating so I'm not sure it matters..

but If was was doing this bait and I want to restore it.. I would match the paint.. sand the area to be repaired with 400 grit.. fill the mark with fiberglass jelly.. let dry over night sand and prep.and respray and clear coat..we use wood putty in some of our wood repairs because it is so absorbant.. it will suck up stain like a dry rag.. so will bondo.. if water gets behind the repair it will some day come out..

another way to fix this crack is something you may not have heard of..

after getting the bait ready(sanded,prep,clean) lay the bait down on its side and secure it so it won't move.. you want the crack level and flat..

now fill the crack with superglue.. now while its still wet.. sprinkle in baking soda.. a hard white shell will form after about 10 minutes you can sand it with sand paper.. it will be hard as a rock and it will last as long as the bait..the baking soda may even smoke when you put it in the super glue..we have fixed a million plastic and wood parts with this method

good luck..nice bait

Littlebear

I agree with BlackJack, as I myself would strip it down to bare balsa. If the lure was in very good condition minor fixes could be filled. I have repaired and repainted some old Bagleys baits. The problem I have found with some of the older lures is that the sealer and paint sometimes becomes brittle. Thus requiring complete removal to bare balsa, if the lure is going to be used to fish with. I have used an Exacto (or other hobby) knife to scrape the finish down. Then carefully remove the layers very carefully by lifting with the knife point.

After getting to the bare wood, sand, add a piece of balsa if required to repair, then sand smooth. Coat to lure with 2 ton epoxy. After drying sand again, wipe clean and you are ready to apply foil and or desired colors. The whole process is a little labor intensive and time consuming, but with a little practice and patience the results can be amazing.[/i]

I agree with BlackJack, as I myself would strip it down to bare balsa. If the lure was in very good condition minor fixes could be filled. I have repaired and repainted some old Bagleys baits. The problem I have found with some of the older lures is that the sealer and paint sometimes becomes brittle. Thus requiring complete removal to bare balsa, if the lure is going to be used to fish with. I have used an Exacto (or other hobby) knife to scrape the finish down. Then carefully remove the layers very carefully by lifting with the knife point.

After getting to the bare wood, sand, add a piece of balsa if required to repair, then sand smooth. Coat to lure with 2 ton epoxy. After drying sand again, wipe clean and you are ready to apply foil and or desired colors. The whole process is a little labor intensive and time consuming, but with a little practice and patience the results can be amazing.[/i]