BrumettBoys

quick question

A sanding sealer is used as a "sealer" while a primer is generally used as sealer and "primer" before going to paint. I use both a sealer and a primer before painting my lures. Lots of different primers...I use a water based version that I buy at Wal-Mart......same goes for sealers. Seal your lures first by dipping them in a sanding sealer, let dry, then prime, then paint, then clearcoat.

Jed V.

If you dip in Minnwax poly acrylic twice, and sand after each coat with 220, you can get a smooth enough bait for painting.

I make larger baits, so fine detail isn't that critical.

When I first started painting, I would dip and sand, base coat with Createx flat white, and then paint with pearl white or silver, putting enough on to even out any rough spots that might be left.

Then any other shading colors, accents, and detail.

Finally, I would coat with epoxy, and let the epoxy give the final smooth finish.

Now, I don't sweat getting the bait too smooth.

I found that wood grain showing through the paint gives an added 3D effect to the paint job, so I don't even worry about sanding too smooth, or filling the wood grain any more. I just hit it with 220, round the edges, and, if there's any grain showing, so be it.

A sanding sealer's purpose is to close off the wood grain so it won't rise when hit by paint. A primer's purpose may be twofold - either to stop staining when painting oily woods like red cedar, or to promote the adhesion of subsequent paint layers. Some coatings do more than one job, so terminology can be confusing. For non-oily woods, a simple routine is to use a 50/50 solution of Devcon Two Ton epoxy mixed with acetone as a sealer/waterproofer, then shoot a white acrylic latex basecoat, then colors, and top it off with straight Devcon Two Ton as a clearcoat.