jflures

todays question

Before I ask todays question, let me start with this. These questions are not ment to ruffle anyones feathers, just to take in everyones point of view. I try to state the question in a way that appeals to every one, so they want to answer. Remember to be civil, your thoughts may not be the next guys/gals. All of you baitmakers that sell your baits should take note, maybe in these anwsers is the next big idea.

If you had access to only one type of material to build your baits (wood, plastic, foam etc.) what would it be? and why?

Wood, because I can work with it. I'm a carpenter, and it just feels right.

I can easily shape it, and I know how to glue and tool it. And I can vary both the buoyancy and durability by which wood I choose. And I can deal with saw/sanding dust easily. No fumes or chemicals, unless my band saw blade is dull and smokes.

Plus I have a garage full of it!

P.S. I am a hobbyist, and don't sell lures.

Not preferential here, would love to play with designing and manufacturing an injection molded plastic lure,use wood everyday, foam played with it a bit but never really got into producing lures that way. I think that a well designed plastic lure can achieve the same amount of sucess as any wood bait, but for the most part the average builder should explore all types of materials so that they can find something that fits into their groove!

I was going to copy Mark Poulson’s post, his words are exactly mine, except that I’m a Firefighter, but have dabbled in furniture and building for years. Yes I prefer wood too, maybe it’s just me, but no matter weather they are ‘no-name’s’ or Rapala’s, plastic just does not feel the same for me, either in my hand or in the water. I have tried cedar, balsa, pressed chip board, and have settled on Kauri pine which is a bit on the light side for my liking (can always weight it) but it’s quite hard, even grained and easy to work. Saying all this I would not mind trying some expanded PVC sheet. pete

I would go with wood. There is so much you can do with it and there is alot of tools for forming it. Pete I tryed the pvc sheets to let you know unlike some others. I was not happy with it. When it was brought up I had a sheet in back at work. Cutting with table saw and sanding with a dremel was easy but the grain was course hence using devcon before painting. I was not happy with assambling it with my wire and rattles. Detail had to be added after coating it with devcon(gills). The wood is to easy to do any thing you want. This might just be me sticking to old school.