finlander

jerk bait q's....

Looking to do some Suick type lures. Is pine as bouyant as they come? Would basswood run a touch deeper? (w/o adding weight) Some muskie baits I have seen it catalogs use screw eyes whereas a Suick seems to have a cotter pin hanger on their lures. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks, Bruce

Hi Bruce

I cannot comment on pine or basswood but I use beech for all my lures and it is a pretty buoyant wood. I always have to lead the baits to sink them. It is also a very hard wood with a fine grain so finishes well and takes a screw eye good too. I have a Suick Thriller which is only around an inch or so thick but around 12" long and quite a light lure so I suspect it is pine which would explain the wire hook hangers as I dont think you could get a good screw hold in pine an 1" thick.

I think beech would lend itself well to the type of baits you are wanting to make.

philB

try stamina components for your jerk bait tails. And stay away from basswood on your musky baits. A buddy of mine made them that way and when water soaked in through a hole or small crack in the finish from wear things turned bad. the wood tends to bust and crack