lurecarver23

Epoxy Problem

Hey

I just finished a few lures and have been letting them dry for about a week. Well last night I when to apply a 2 part epoxy to them. The paint began to run and to blend into the other paints and the signature that I had put on it slowly bleeded away into a brown smudge. What is happening to the paint and what would be a better product? All the other lures that I applied the finished too did a simliar thing but wasnt as bad. Also is anyone familiar with the way Rapala finishes their lures? The 2 part epoxy isnt as hard as i wanted it to be. I'm pretty frustrated now with the stuff. Any hints or pointers. Thanks!

Oil based enamel with Flex Coat works without smearing. Using a no. 2 pencil for the signature will not smear either. Rapala has kept a good secret for their clearcoat. But, Flex Coat works well to refinish old Rapalas. I have some projects, including refinishing a Rapala, signature, painting, foiling, etc. documented at

http://www.rivercitylures.50megs.com/make/how2/aaa/how2lure.htm

Garrett

This link from the Flex Coat website is a list of distributors.

http://www.flexcoat.com/linkdex.html

You can also buy directly from Flex Coat with a credit card (phone number at website). Where ever you get it, be sure to get the "Ultra-V". There is still a lot of the old stuff on the shelves, and the Ultra-V is supposed to resist yellowing.

What is the epoxy that you are using. If it is Devcon, then the only thing that I can think of is that the Rapalas that you are coating are not actually painted. It might be that they are decals. Rapala has gone to this on alot of their baits. It is possible that the heat created from the hardener curing the resin in the epoxy is melting these decals.

Skeeter

Hi Lurecarver,

You know I haven't had the problem you are describing with either Devcon or Flexcoat. I have painted both of them over watercolors..you know the kid's type, over spray paint, magazine clippings, pencil drawings, pen, and about everything else with no problems whatsoever. I much prefer the Devcon over flexcoat as it dries quickly and leaves a thicker coat than FC. From my experience the Devcon is much harder too than the FC and only requires one coat. The only time I have had problems with the paint and pen, pencil, "running" is when I didn't allow it dry completely. Not sure I helped you any...good luck.

Jed