northbassman

Screw Eyes.

How long of screw eyes should I use on my crankbaits. I am going to be making mostly bass and walleye crankbaits. Should I use 1/2in 3/4in or how long? Should I use brass or Stainless Steel?

Is this a pretty popular method or is it more common to use the internal wiring or the new cotter pin method I believe thought of by coly?

I use 3/4" x .062" SS.

You can use Nickle plated brass, but they will sometimes

twist off during installation.

Drill a small pilot hole less than the depth of the eyescrew

and put some epoxy in the hole and on the screweye.

The epoxy will seal the hole and prevent water from

getting in your bait.

Coley

Hi,I use different length screw eyes on my baits for the back eye I use 1 1/4" stainless steel for the belly eye I use 1" stainless eye.But for the front eye I use 1 1/4 nickle plated brass eye,the main reason behind this is that it is far easier to bend a brass eye to tune the bait than a stainless one but as Coley has said they are more prone to snapping when putting them in.For the front eye I drill my pilot hole 1.8 mm to a depth of 1 1/8" which means there is not lots of cutting for the screw eye to do which makes it less likley to twist off.Coat the threads with epoxy and wind the eye in .They will never come out!