Palmetto Balsa

epoxyunderground.com

So many of the questions in these recurrent topics go like so:

What will happen if I coat with this, or if I fill with that, or if I try something different?"

I believe we sometimes do a disservice to new lure-builders by hand-holding too much. Excessive handholding stifles innovation and creativity, and the 'luremaker's spirit' in general. If you want to try something a little different, for goodness sake, try it! and let us know how it works for you. If you have a problem, let us help. If you want to try something, just try it, and learn by doing.

That's the best way to progess in this craft. Most of these experiments aren't do-or-die anyway, and I see a lot of great new techniques being developed here by those that take the risks to learn something new. There's just no substitute for getting your hands dirty, and then hitting the water to test the results.

'EPooxy'-It's starting to mean Extremely Poxy for me lately. The last two top coats have finished in a disaster. This one wanted to swim on a piece of carpet on the w/shop floor, a couple of days ago, and I can't bring myself to sand it all off and start again - epoxy, it's all too much. peteEPoxy.jpg

I am one of the new guys here, but im not new to tackle making. I also dont know anyone on this site well enough to point any fingers or make any accusations so this post is not dirrected at anyone in particular. But I love to flyfish and also put the fly rod away and use any and all other means of fishing. There is a flyfishing site on the internet that is in my opinion the best resourse for flyfishing/rodbuilding/flytying handsdown. But the Arrogant pompous attitude that generally goes along with a lot of flyfisherman runs rampant on that site. So much so that I wont even post on it anymore. I still use the resources and will recomend it to people but the attitude has just flat turned me away. One of the things I really like about this site is the people who want to share information and the talent of the people here. No one forces anyone to answeer the posts, yet someone usually comes along and answers. Should the new guys use the search function first and try to help themselves? Hell yeah. And I hope that they show enough respect to do it. But anyone that has ever visited any of these sites knows that the search is depedant on how things are worded and sometimes for whatever reasons just dont work. So questions just get asked over again. It happens, Oh well. If it pisses you off, Ignore it. Dont answer. Im sure either they will get the point or someone with more time or patience will come along and answer. But if I can save a new guys first paint job by telling him that epoxy is going to turn yellow on you or save the guy $10.00 and have him buy the right stuff the first time, then why not. A year from now we may be learning something from that new guy.

Yeah, I get "Epoxy, DN or Coating Incompatibility Fatigue Syndrome" but all said and done, I agree with MTFISHINGRODS. I do wish folks would use the search feature more. On the other hand, if I searched for one EPOXY tidbit, it might take days of reading though threads to find that golden BB. So the polite thing to do is answer the question if you know the answer, or at least point them in the right direction to get the answer from other posts, member submitted tutorials, etc.

as i am still a newbie and do not have the knowledge of all the different epoxies out there, then thats why i ask. i will not ask if you ask me not too though. i guess i will have to go somewhere else.

search function...

Everyone understands that the search function generates a ton of results, and its hard to filter through them all. I don't think anyone would befront you if you looked and couldn't find an answer and posted a question.

HOWEVER, when, as Palmetto B pointed out, there are 13 recent topics all on epoxy, it makes one wonder:

1.) If they bothered to use the search function, and if they did, did they do more than just search "epoxy", see a ton of threads and decide it wasn't worth their time?

2.) Was their question completely off topic for all the other recent epoxy threads? If not, couldn't it be asked in an existing thread instead of having 13 different epoxy threads going on at once that only differ in minor details?

I still consider myself new, and sometimes you just want to post a question because you want to feel like you are "participating" in the forum. However, at the same time, this site and its archives are a resource, and numerous threads on similar topics make the forum much more inefficient as a resource. It actually exacerbates the problem that the new person was trying to avoid in the first place, i.e. the flood of search results. Its a vicious cycle, but I don't think its going to stop.

Edited by SmokeyJ

MT, I have to agree, just answer the questions.

Yes, the same old subjects do seem to rotate, 'which airbrush is best' should be comming around soon. But, every now and then, a new idea emerges on an old subject. The subjects are not 'old' to those seeking the answers. Most learning is done by casual reading of current threads and not just searching for specific answers, if this rotation did not happen, we would get far more devcon questions!

ps. Found this thread while searching for epoxy.

Edited by Vodkaman

So questions just get asked over again. It happens, Oh well. If it pisses you off, Ignore it. Dont answer.

I do occasionally flyfish, but I don't visit any online flyfishing sites, so I can't speak to the arrogance that may be found there. I certainly don't think there's room for arrogance, or people who get pissed-off easily here at TU.

I think most people who visit this site, use it as a resource. To most it's a place of learning, and that should be encouraged. Creativity should be encouraged; experimentation should be encouraged; new ideas should be encouraged. With my responses, and through sharing of knowledge, I try to increase the confidence of the questioner so they'll develop the ability to try new things-- and do things their own way.

My attitude may be in the minority, but I strongly believe that fostering an appreciation for experimentation benefits the luremaker, as well as the fisherman. I've seen the results, and will continue to suggest that if a newbie thinks they have a good idea-- they should go ahead and try it.

Just one man's opinion, nothing but love.

Edited by sagacious

Hey guys.....Which airbrush is best?....only kidding...........

I do however have a real question. I have been debating between getting a scroll saw and a band saw. I can only fit one in my little walk-in-closet sized work area. Both saws that I have been looking at are table top models. The Scroll saw is a Ryobi 16" and the band saw is a 9" Ryobi. What would be better for cutting flat sided lures about 6" long from 3/4" oak planks? I have no experience with either type saw. I have cut this oak with my jig saw while clamped to the table and it isnt fun. Real noisy too..........

By the way.............I have used the search function to research this and found some good discussions about this topic but havent found one that seals the deal for me in my mind.

One of those topics was started by me. I searched "createx envirotex" and got no answers to the question I posed, try it and see if you get an answer. I agree with MTfishingrods completely, I signed up on this site to learn, not to be belittled. I try to learn from other peoples mistakes. Should I waste $20 on clear and a few hours on a lure only to find they are incompatable when if I asked a simple question about it on a website someone who has already made that mistake could have warned me in a few keystrokes? Is that what this site is for or is it just to show off your lures? If you don't like the questions all you have to do is skip over them, but don't worry, you'll never see me ask another "stupid" question. Maybe I'm beating a dead horse but some of you need knocked off your high horse.

I think if you are cutting oak, then you should go with the band saw. I have a Scroll Saw and it works great for Balsa, Paulownia, and other light woods. I tried to cut Pinewood Derby cars with the Scroll Saw and it was slow going. The blade is not strong enough for the denser woods or thick pieces. The blade on a Scroll Saw will flex and give uneven cuts (even if it is only 3/4 oak).

Invest in the Band Saw.

Disclaimer... I own a Scroll Saw and have never owned a Band Saw. I did use a friends Band Saw to finish the Pinewoods, and that was what I needed. I think I get better detail, and finer cuts in my Balsa and Paulownia with the Scroll Saw but it won't do the job on the hard stuff.

Edited by Palmetto Balsa

Whoa guys. No ones on a high horse around here. My post was not pointing fingers at anyone. No ones feelings need to be hurt new or old members. I know how the new guys feel, I know how the senior members feel. I was just trying to offer some insight on how to maybe keep some peece among all. I have been on many sides of the issue from owning internet bulleting boards to being admin moderators senior members and now little ol new guy. New guys need to realize theres a whole lot more that goes on that you dont see, so you need to appreciate what is here. And try your hardest to follow the general guidelines and understand theres a reason for them. It is a lot of work trying to keep these boards cleaned up, organized and on the right track when you get post in the wrong forums or hijacking threads or a person who is to lazy to try to figure something out and just wants a quick fix. Bottom line is we all need respect for each other. If that is shown Everyone will enjoy it here. And just to make it clear again. I have not seen any disrespect. I was just wanting to point out my experience on other boards because of the enjoyment and the talent I see on this one. I wouldnt want to see this go down the same path.

Most of the forums have one or two questions that never seem to go away. Some of the common ones are PoP, fluid beds, powder paints, epoxy, airbrushes, what kind of wood, etc.,

I have noticed several on Tackleunderground who always seem to field the questions, always offer a complete, logical, and thoughtful answers. I recently read an answer on the Hardbait forum that answered a wide range of questions, so I grabbed it up, did a few minor style and formating changes, converted it into a PDF file, notified the author that I was placing his post into the Members Submitted Tutorial forum, is that ok, and please make sure it meets your technical requirements. The members of Tackleunderground got lucky because fatfingers said that was okay with him. I think of him as a mentor in addition to being a skilled craftsman.

If you think that it's always the same old questions all the time, why not check to see if there is a good tutorial that answers the majority of the questions you see for that subject? Adding

Trying to Achieve a Flawless Finish as a MST should cover a wide range of questions.

As new members join and you welcome them on board, why not take it upon yourself to have them check the FAQ section (and even if you've been here a while, you might want to read it to find out what the new TU upgrades are) and direct them to the MSTs. The How-To button on the menu bar going across the top of the pages was a new guys idea; he couldn't find the tutorials and wanted help... and how many other new guys has it helped???

If you can think of a subject that is dated or lacking, why not leave your mark on the world and leave a piece of yourself by developing a tutorial. If you need a little help, just ask. The worst that can happen is you won't know what to talk about with all the crystal clarity created.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike

So many of the questions in these recurrent topics go like so:

What will happen if I coat with this, or if I fill with that, or if I try something different?"

I believe we sometimes do a disservice to new lure-builders by hand-holding too much. Excessive handholding stifles innovation and creativity, and the 'luremaker's spirit' in general. If you want to try something a little different, for goodness sake, try it! and let us know how it works for you. If you have a problem, let us help. If you want to try something, just try it, and learn by doing.

That's the best way to progess in this craft. Most of these experiments aren't do-or-die anyway, and I see a lot of great new techniques being developed here by those that take the risks to learn something new. There's just no substitute for getting your hands dirty, and then hitting the water to test the results.

Well here's my two penneth. I dont have a problem with someone diving in and asking a question that has been asked a hundred times before because to that person it is the first time it has been asked. Everyone should have their hand held for a while and we should be prepared to do that because everyone starts somewhere and may well be struggling, I still struggle with epoxy. If needed a disclaimer could be put into the registration process which could read "if you want to ask questions about Epoxy, createx, airbrushes, sealants or finishes go elswhere we are fed up of you newbies and your boring questions :yawn:".

If that happened I would leave myself. I say this, bring on the questions and bring on the answers as well no matter how many times they have been asked, do not make people feel bad about using the board because after all it is a public forum and should not become a closed shop for the chosen few. Folk will pick it all up in due course and hopefully become a regular and respected member of the TU, shoot em down with their first posting and you may never know what that person is capable of. You will never get perfect postings all the time and on occasions there will be a gem of a reply withih the 'Epoxy' question.

I try everthing, I dive in feet first and give it a bash but if I come unstuck I would hate to think I could not ask for first hand advice about that specific problem just because it involved epoxy or one of the other frequently asked.

Haven't we all posted questions that have been discussed before??

Yeah, I guess so.

I've been reading on this forum lots of old threads before I even started to build a bait. I like to do some good research before I start something. On the contrary there are people that just start building and then come up with questions they need a quick answer to. Is that a problem? Not for me. Just like said before, sometimes the most common questions lead to new ideas and that is what we all should like. If ones question is not answered that person will use the search button in the end.

The many questions about epoxies and finishes is an indication on how many people struggle with clearcoating and how important it is to the most of us.