bobv

Foil source

There are two pieces of nice thin foil inside Orbit gum boxes. Not on the gum, but lining the box. I used Goo Gone to clean it up and was able to peel off the paper backing in one piece easily. The Goo Gone doesn't have the fumes problem of thinner. There was enough glue left after taking the paper off that it stuck very nicely to a rattle bait. Putting paint on now, will post pic later.

I picture you sitting at the workbench, chewing like crazy to get more crankbait foil :) Another thing you might try for really flashy foil is one of those Mylar "space blankets" sold in camping supply stores. One blanket is a lifetime supply and it's pretty thin stuff. Use contact cement to glue it down. I use a fingertip to get a very thin coating of glue so there will be no glue residue bumps under the foil.

I picture you sitting at the workbench, chewing like crazy to get more crankbait foil :) Another thing you might try for really flashy foil is one of those Mylar "space blankets" sold in camping supply stores. One blanket is a lifetime supply and it's pretty thin stuff. Use contact cement to glue it down. I use a fingertip to get a very thin coating of glue so there will be no glue residue bumps under the foil.

Cheap kitchen foil is also pretty thin and will save your fillings!;)

Also, candy foil from the Arts/Craft stores is worth looking into.

I like rattle can, spray adhesive to afix the foil.

Edited by Husky

I just did my first foil finishes (extremely pleased with results)and used the 2" HVAC aluminum tape manufactured by "Duck". For texture I used a "coarse" hand file. The file works well for smaller bass sized baits, but would not work well for musky sized baits. As I get better I'll look into other options like the candy wrappers/mylar blankets, etc which do appear to be shinier than HVAC aluminum tape but add another step of gluing.

I saw candy foil for sale at either Michael's or Hobby Lobby (can't remember) - you may want to give both a call and ask if you didn't already. The packages I saw came with about 50-100 (guestimate) wrappers per package.

I'm thinking it was hobby lobby as when you go to the hobby lobby website and want to purchase something, it takes you to another website (that sells hobby lobby items) called craftsetc where they sell them.

Crafts, Etc! ® - 5110G Gold Foil

Crafts, Etc! ® - 5110S Silver Foil

Edited by pizza