Florida Don

My prototype - Heat Lamp Plastic Heating Unit

Got to thinking about the Heat Lamp unit that Longhorn posted about some time ago.

So, I thought I could come up with a portable unit that anyone could make with parts from Home Depot.

Here are some pictures. It works great. Melts existing worms etc. in around 8 minutes and virgin plastisol in around 5-6 minutes.

I am looking into having the metal drilled and bent for me and offering the metal for sale, if I can get it priced right. No sense in offering the complete unit as all the parts are available locally. I of course would give detailed instructions.

I would have a heaver gauge metal - the prototype is 22 ga. - it was all I could find and still be able to bend it at home.

The size of each half is 8"X8"X8" and it is 12" deep.

Each half has an independent dimmer switch.

I have more pictures if anyone wants them.

Your thoughts?

Don

Heat Unit Front.jpg

Heat Unit Side.jpg

Heat Unit Lit 2.jpg

Heat Unit Front.jpg

Heat Unit Side.jpg

Heat Unit Lit 2.jpg

Heat Unit Front.jpg

Heat Unit Side.jpg

Heat Unit Lit 2.jpg

Heat Unit Front.jpg

Heat Unit Side.jpg

Heat Unit Lit 2.jpg

Heat Unit Front.jpg

Heat Unit Side.jpg

Heat Unit Lit 2.jpg

Heat Unit Front.jpg

Heat Unit Side.jpg

Heat Unit Lit 2.jpg

Heat Unit Front.jpg

Heat Unit Side.jpg

Heat Unit Lit 2.jpg

Heat Unit Front.jpg

Heat Unit Side.jpg

Heat Unit Lit 2.jpg

2951_thumb.attach

2952_thumb.attach

2953_thumb.attach

That looks good. If you cross brake the sides and hem the edges it should make them stronger so they don,t have a wave on the edges. If yo don't have a thicker gauge. If you send me a blank of the stands I can draw it up as we do are sheet metal fittings. I could cut one out on the plasma cutter too. Just PM me if you whant to do it. I have a large sheet metal shop to use when I whant and it has all the needs to pump them out for you.:nuhuh:

I forgot if you have some tin snips and a hook bender you could bend the edges to a 90 so the one you made won't tilt and another idea on the top section 90 the bottom in a scew with sheetmetal scews that will hold the top tight. One saftey concer other than the leaning is the top light looks like it could slide down I would make three straps a screw them in to hold the light up or on your next one cut the hole smaller and strap it down to. I see why it don't take long to malt the worms that looks like a industrial over you made. I think I might make a few.

Like I said, it is only a prototype. I know about the bottom flange. I would put holes in it to allow fastening it to a board or workbench. I didn't have the tools to do a good job, but it does work fine.

The reason the top light is not flush is because of the hole and the way I cut the metal around the light unit. Also, I noticed in the picture that the attaching wingnut on the left isn't screwed in.

The heavier gauge material should take care of any problems.

The real deal is in getting it all put together. I want to make it so simple that even I can do it.

I appreciate the offer but I am in FL - a long way from you.

I have a guy quoting on it and will see what he comes up with.

But, if he isn't competitive, then I have no problem with you making them. Heck, I already started with the pictures and instruction sheet. If we both can make a buck, that is fine with me.

I am already retired, but wouldn't mind making enough to support my addiction to lure making. :)

I can tell you that it was a real PITA cutting the holes with the equipment I have.

No offense taken. I certainly want to make it an easier way. Heck, I had to cut the 6" holes with a cutter that took about 1/2 hour each - what a pain that was. Then they weren't perfectly round.

So many better ways to do things. My intent is to eliminate those problems for anyone that wishes to make the unit. By just supplying the sheet metal, I think they should be able to handle the rest.

I see what you mean by the 90* on the upper but at the time that would just be extra bends for me - plus I didn't want interference on the inside.

Anyhow, will talk later.

Thanks for your and all input.