jcb19983

how to make a swimbait

Jc.. I started out by carving the whole lure.. then... I just said... I think I will cut it here.. then I said.. I think i might just cut the tail here.. I didnt measure a darn thing.. didnt have clue what size I wanted to carve it when I started.. I just watche tv and carved some wood.. when I was done it was 7 1/2 inches long broken up in three sections. .. Then I tested the balsa blank with some weight but not the same weight I used for my molded bait because balas is... is.... is.... HEY DEAN whats the big word everyone uses..... BOYAH!!! no that's the dude from ESPN... BOY YANT!! Boy yant see sexy!! LOL anyway.... i basically put less weight in my casted lures than in my original balsa swimbait.. After I saw it moved in the water.. I was like.. WOW!! if it moves.. a fish will eat it.. .. GLIDDERS MOVE FUNNY.... FISH EAT THEM.. Spoons move FUNNY.. FISH eat them... A wacky worm moves wacky and it wins at NORMAN!! ANYTHING IN THE LAKE THAT MOVES!! A Fish will eat.. I had a fish bite my toe once...and it was just sittin their mind its own business.. Im glad I wasnt wigglin all 5... who knows how many bites I might have got.. ok ok.. im having fun..

My point is.. JUST TRY GREEN EGGS and HAM.. Dont read the book .. get a few swimbaits and look at the design... THEN GIVE IT A HI HO try.. You learn a whole more by DOING than by thinkin or readin about how to do it..I didnt read a thing about how to do it. I just did the trail and error.. I did look at the hinges of alot of swimbaits and I went with the hinge style to connect my bait together... Now if your the techy kinda guy.. ask Vokaman.. he can draw one up on a cad program for you .. but believe me... If I can make a swimbait.. anyone can!! Im about as dopey as they get!!!

Here is a happy customer.. So I guess the darn thing worked!! Even if I can't spell buoyancy!!;)... OK OK.. I got this picture other day so Im showing it off! wish the fish in Norman were this big...

Edited by The_Rookie

Thanks KC!!! Oh yeah JC.. sorry I went off into another world.. Im really A. D. D.... yes you have to add weight to get it to work... Start off adding weight to the head.. ... put your first hook screw eye near the back end of the head picece.. Dont know why but I remember Fat or Dean telling me to do this when I was doing my project..anyway it does work better because I still had to see what it would do if I didnt!!! LOL!! I add 2 weights to my head.. 1/4 oz in the belly laying horizontal.. and 1/4 oz near the front vertical that is a good starting point.. dont know why i did it that way other than to say it swims better that way.. but who knows what yours will do it will be a different shape altogether.. I have got it to run with one weight but it's alot more balanced with 2 weights in different postions on the head . but that is trial and error.. I still mess around with different new casted piceces all the time to get different action from the same design.. I have a wake design.. slow sinking.. fast sinking... etc... now after you get weight in the head.. weight the middle picece too if your making a 3 picece bait like I did.. my last hook screw eye is on the tail picece and I connect my tail at the end of the lure with 2 more hook screw eyes so that gives it weight.. the main reason its nice to cast a mold is you can experiment with lots and lots of parts without havin to carve it again and again or fix all the drill holes you put into your first wooden design..sometimes you make a crapy lure and come back to it months later only to find out you figured out how to get it to run after you made a new lure similar to the old crapy one you never thought would work.... you can always sand on a molded part if it doesnt work and remold it when you get it working good.. you also want to experiment with the length you drill the screw eyes into the picece... Science has alot to do with it.. but usually creative people are well creative.. they dont think... they just do.. and I never was much on science... if it works woohooo... if not they try again. or CALL DEAN!! He can fix any lure that doesnt run right.. expect swimbaits he hates SWIMBAITS!!! (inside joke) my guess is old dean could fix a truck lure if I needed him too.... but in general.. I tried to get a design that looks like the shape of a fish.. If it looks like a fish.. Im willing to bet you can get it to swim.... Good Luck PM if you need help. Im no expert by any means.. But I enjoy getting them to work more than painting them.. thats the fun part.. Paintin is a job now..