GAswimB8er

Tools, Tools, and more tools

What are some of the common tools that everyone uses to make their lures with, tools for under $200 preferred, I have a hand sander, 3 basic wood chisels, a jig saw, and a variable speed drill, just trying to have everything I need to get started off good. Thanks

Well, if I were going to be making wood baits, I would want a GOOD knife with a sharp edge and some stones and a strop to keep it sharp. A bandsaw would be great if you plan on making several baits. And then, a 1x30 belt sander.

Hmmmm... let's see... Powermatic 24-inch planer, surface sander, Powermatic 10-in. table saw, jointer,.... I'm sorry, I was just looking at my new Woodcraft catalog and wandered off.

Like I said above: bandsaw, knife, sander.

Gene

Gene,

That's funny. Those tools are unbelievable. I've drooled over those Powermatic tools for forty years. Meanwhile, I've used the same model 1953 Sears&Roebuck 10" table saw that my Mom bought my Dad new in 1953. I worked with a carpenter who had an identical saw to my Dad's forty years ago, sitting under a tarp in his back yard. $50 later, I had the same saw as my Dad, and it's still in my garage, and still runs great. I'll never forget his name, Babe. Obviously, a different era.

But that never stopped me from drooling over Powermatic's saws. To this day.

River Rat,

That is a good list. I was looking for an answer like that.

Here is my starter list.

1. A Coping Saw or Miter Saw and box

2. X-Acto knife handle style B with about 10-20 #11 blades

3. Emery cloth in medium and fine

4. A pair of needle nose, cutting pliers

5. Ruler

This will work for woods like Bass wood and lighter types.

That should get you started and keep you going for a while. The Dremel will be next on the list.

Here is a short list

Power tools: Band Saw, Belt sander, Drill press, Hand drill, Rotary tool, Router, Air compressor, Air Brush, Turning wheel, Hair dryer

Hand tools: Sanding blocks, sand paper, scrapers, chisels, wire cutters, round nose pliers, lineman’s pliers, flat file, 6” scale, combination square, angle finder, C clamps, Hand screw clamps, exacto knife handles

Most wanted that I do not have: Table saw

Dont forget the computer, printer, and digital camera

Edited by BruceKY

You can make a bait by hand, and use rasps, files, sandpaper, and a dovetail saw or dremel tool to cut slots and drill holes, but, to make four or five at a time, power tools are the only way to go.

A lot depends on what kind of lures you're making.

If you're making poppers and cylindrical lures, a lathe is probably all you'd need, along with a cordless drill.

For cranks and swimbaits, it gets a little more complicated.

If you're rough cutting blank stock and cutting joints and lip slots, a small table saw. You could use a radial arm saw, but a table saw is much safer for most things.

If you're predrilling for hook hangers, weighting, and hinge joints, a drill press. A cordless drill would work, but a drill press is much more accurate.

If you're rough cutting to shape, a small bandsaw. This is to cut down on sanding.

If you're refining the shape, to get to ready to paint, an oscillating sander. I have a combo spindle/belt sander. I only use the belt part. Depending on the belt, I can rough out a blank in about two minutes, and refine the shape and finish sand in another two minutes. I use a dust collector with my sander, and it's still dusty work. A mask and back fan are essential for me.

Choose your poison.

My essential handtool for years , equipped with a stripe of 40 grit sandpaper it evens up fast any wood contures , that have been pre-shaped with power tools .

On softer woods like balsa or abache you must even take care , not to sand away too much material at a time , for fine-sanding just switch sandpaper stripe to smoother grits . Very handy , might not want to ever miss it :wink:!

Check this : Schmirgelfeile 25cm, gerade, Bestellnummer VA-11-28

keep on carving , diemai