Hoosierdaddy

Frustrating Minnow plugs

I am so frustrated that I am about to give up for this year, or at least go back to tying jigs for the crappie season. I have been trying for some time to build minnow plugs but cant seem to get the dag gone things to wiggle. I have been using the balsa cedar technique as I have found that it really helps me keep things centered. However, after weighting the lures and coating them with Devcon, temporarily installing the lip, and sink testing them, I find that they dive correctly but provide little or no wiggle. My designs will still work good for jerk baits during the walleye spawn but I was hoping to troll them. With trolling the vibration is key to getting the strike ....no vibration...no fish....

Can anyone help with this dilema?

Hoosier...Don't hang it up yet!!..We'll get you through this dilema!!...Those baits look easy to build...but they can be tricky. Click on my website and take alook at the bill I have on the Flat Jack...Then click on the Mohawk Minnow and look at the angle it's set at.

I like to use square bills slightly wider than the front of my bait to allow plenty of surface area.

If you need more help..shoot me a PM...Nathan

Thanks Nathan and Big Splash. As you could probably tell the post I made was in pure frustration. Tommorrow ...back to the drawing board. I believe you are both right that my problem is in the lip angle. I have no trouble whatsoever making a deep or medium diving crank. Its just the shallow running minnow plugs that give me fits. I fish hard baits primarily for walleye and in my area stick baits with a good vibration are key to success.

Thanks for your replies. Just a couple quick question sirs? Does the taper of the lure (as in an aerial shot) of the lure, being wider at the eyes and lip and narrowing toward the tail, play a roll in its wiggle in the water? also.. If I want more wiggle should I be rounding the sides of my minnow plugs or leaving flat planes?

Hoosier.....I don't think rounding the edges as opposed to leaving them square will have little effect on the wiggle of the lure.Now the taper will have some effect.Less it's tapered the more buyant(spelling) the lure is(more wood)..Now I taper my baits going both directions,and round the corners. The lip angle,and width are your main factors..Nathan

Whew... I got a recipe that works now.. Thanks to alot of help and experimentation. Minnow plugs are for more delicate in nature to get the diving depth, WIGGLE, and weight desired than diving cranks. I am witness to that. My problem on this one was both the lip angle and surface area. I just got done sink testing a prtotypew and WOW.. she wiggles perty... Thanks again Nathan and Big Splash...Once I get this set painted and top coated I will post the pictures. By the way Nathan.. love the baits on your site... and a very nice webpage as well.