pizza

jointed bass crankbaits

Here are some jointed bass cranks I just finished. index.php?n=2829

index.php?c=1index.php?c=1

They are my first jointed cranks so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they swim straight and have good action. One of the triple segmented is weighted solely with aluminum HVAC tape on the bottom while the others also have split shots for ballast.

Stage 1.JPG

Stage 2.JPG

Stage 1.JPG

Stage 2.JPG

Stage 1.JPG

Stage 2.JPG

Stage 1.JPG

Stage 2.JPG

Stage 1.JPG

Stage 2.JPG

Stage 1.JPG

Stage 2.JPG

Stage 1.JPG

Stage 2.JPG

Stage 1.JPG

Stage 2.JPG

3006_thumb.attach

3007_thumb.attach

haven't tested them out yet. I river fish mostly and we have gotten a bunch of rain lately so they are waaay up. As far as the shape, I started with 2.5" x 3/8" basswood blanks that I got from Kelly at Mimic. I took a handsaw to them and went from there....like Rookie says just start making. I tested them before I put the lips in to see by chance if they'd work as a (topwater) swimbait and they didn't float in a vertical postition so I added about 7 layers of HVAC aluminum tape to the bottoms of all of them. Didn't test them after that. So far I've made about 10 cranks. In 5 of them, I am completely happy with the action. 3 swim straight but in a "slightly off vertical" position, and 2 I need to tinker with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on these as they took a while to make. Seems like with smaller cranks (these are actually the biggest I've made thus far) you must be real precise to get "perfect" action. Here's a close up of the last one that includes some holographic scale tape.

Holographic Scales.JPG

Holographic Scales.JPG

Holographic Scales.JPG

Holographic Scales.JPG

Holographic Scales.JPG

Holographic Scales.JPG

Holographic Scales.JPG

Holographic Scales.JPG

3014_thumb.attach

got out for about 5 minutes today to take a few test casts. I am happy with the action of the single jointed. It swims straight, in an overall vertical postion (when viewed head-on), and has good wiggle. Although I would like to have a more pronounced wiggle, I am happy with the results(looks pretty fluid when viewed from above). The double jointed don't swim as well. The biggest problem is that they don't appear to be balanced. I think they need more weight at the bottom (but concentrated towards the side that needs it to better balance them)of all three segments (but especially the front segment I'm thinking). I only had a few minutes and didn't try to tune them by bending the tie in or filing the lip so hopefully they can be made to swim better. All in all for as much time as I put into these, it is kind of disapointing as I thought they would swim better. Hopefully I can tinker with them and get them to swim reasonably. I also think I should have made the joints bigger. One of my design goals was to make the joint area as small as possible (for aesthetic reasons, I didn't want them looking like jointed rapalas) but I'm not so sure that this is the best idea. Smaller joint areas probably work better when the segments are "V'ed" (when viewed from above).

I'm determined to get them to swim properly, the ? is can I do it without having to completely strip/sand(they've got 2 layers of D2T)/repaint/refoil/drill holes to add more weight them. Probably not....