bassman2008

Making dressed trebles

BM08, don't know how much you know about flytying, but dressing trebles is really simple. Clamp treble in a vise (of some type, a flytying vise is probably best), wrap some flytying thread on shank of treble, stoppingnear the bend of the hooks. Attach some hackle feathers (I prefer to use saddle hackle because of their size) or hair of choice. Wrap down securely, tie off, apply some zap-a-gap ca. and you're in business. This is much cheaper than buying dressed trebles. If you have a fly shop in your area, they can certainly help you with the materials. If I can answer any questions, please ask. Hope this info helps.

David

Or

Clamp treble in vise, secure thread by overhand knot or two, thread tiny amount of flashabou through hook eye, fold down the hold tight by hand while wraping, whip and add a drop of glue.

Done, nice and easy and the fish like it.

Match color of 'bou to hard bait body.

Bassman08,

Have I got a deal for you... If you go to top menu bar and select "How To", then select the Member Submitted Tutorials, and go to Page 4, you'll find a tutorial titled Tying Bucktail Trebles. It will provide you an overview for dressing your trebles. You will a few things to get you going.

1) A vice - I have used a $100.00 version and an inexpensive surgical clamp. As long as you can control the hook your working with.

2) Thread - I would suggest size E fly tying thread to start off.

3) A bucktail or two - these can be either natural or dyed and go for about $5.00 each.

4) Head cement - a glue used to bed your thread that dries quick.

If you can attend a lesson or two, so much the better. In this age of the internet and YouTube, you can probably find several good videos to show the basics. They're not all going to be perfect at first. You're going to learn about under coat and hair stacking; but it will start to make sense. Good luck.

If your dressed trebles are intended for surface lure, jerkbait or any any lure designed to wiggle, walk-the-dog, etc. Stick to feathers. Unless used very sparingly, hair will retard the action of the bait. Too many feathers or dressing will retard the action also.

If your dressed trebles are intended for surface lure, jerkbait or any any lure designed to wiggle, walk-the-dog, etc. Stick to feathers. Unless used very sparingly, hair will retard the action of the bait. Too many feathers or dressing will retard the action also.

Agreed. One feather in each gap of the treble, and some strips of flashabou (like the x-rap dressed trebles). Looks good, doesn't impede the action.

Since I never was into tying feathers , bucktail and stuff , I have used just thin cotton , wool and metallic thread to dress trebles , obtained at shops for sewing supplies .

Those threads are simply looped a few times and poked through the hook eye , than secured by a piece of clear plastic tubing(dia. 4,5mm's , such tubing is containing in many packs of chemical lights for nightfishing over here in Europe) .

These loops are finally cut open and trimmed with scissors .

I use these tied trebles on in-lines exclusively , since I am aware , that these voluminous tinsels would slow down the action of any wobling or darting bait , but maybe with only a few pieces of thread , fixed with a piece of shrink tube on the hookshank , it would also work on such lures !

Greetz , diemai

DRETRE_01.JPG

DRETRE_01.JPG

DRETRE_01.JPG

DRETRE_01.JPG

DRETRE_01.JPG

DRETRE_01.JPG

DRETRE_01.JPG

DRETRE_01.JPG

3180_thumb.attach