jamie

ballast weight distribution

Some years ago I used to add some weight to my some of my cranks in the top of the bait or "across the back bone " to add a wide wobble.It made some of the best twitch baits that I ever seen, the bait had a wide severe wobble if the weight was right.What happens is the weight in the top of the bait causes the bait to tip because the center of balance has changed.If you weight to much the bait will blow out, its something you have to play with. I never heard it mentioned here and I was wondering if anybody uses this method. I would love to here your comments on this style of weighting .

I too have never read about the vertical spread of ballast on TU. Yet most must know about it, remembering about the rapala Xray articles, that clearly showed some strange and precise ballast arrangements. The point of those articles was to see how they were built, but no one asked why!

I feel that I want to explain something, but Jamie, you have covered the subject pefectly in just a few lines. I feel that this is an important thread for lure designers.