Sonny.Barile

Bow Deck

Hi Folks

I need some advice. I just got a brandy stainking new Duranautic 13 ft. aluminum v-hull (pointy kind) and it does not have a bow deck for my future trolling motor. My first thought is to drill into the top of the aluminum rub rail and put flanged threaded inserts into the holes. I could then bolt down a fiber glass/wood core pretty painted bow deck. (with a battery shelf underneath. It isnt going to be for standing on just for the tm. However if I ever need to get out of the boat through the front it should be able to take a temporary step. It will only be about 2 feet long. My question is.....I dont want my inserts to start turning when I tighten down the deck. Would JB Weld be enough to hold them down? .....or some other epoxy/adhesive?

Thanks

Sonny

I have used those fasteners in work, but I worry about them spinning in the hole after repeated loading. I may just use a thin bow cover (maybe fiberglassed for strength) and use self tapping screws. If they eventually come loose Im not stuck with a big hole. It can be drilled out larger and then install an insert. Atleast I would have some way to fix it in the future.

I used them fasteners in boats in the past, in your example.

there are ones that have a flange on them with 4 prongs stiking out and they will smash righ into plywood with a pilot hole.

if those dont work for you the other thing I have dont is taken a die grinder and grind out a square nut into the wood should be a tight fit. then fill it up with fiberglass and cover that section with a small piece of fibergalls over wood to keep it from coming out. MAKE SURE YOU USE STAINLESS ONLY as anythign else will rot out over time.

square nuts are tricky to find sometimes but get the biggest ones you can. dont use hex as the wood might wear down and it ill just spin in the wood then you have a problem.

also you can get fasteners that are spring loaded and turn 1/2 turn and lock. I dont recomend those on a boat but they do work A buddy built a extra deck on his bass boat useing them and after a while they pop loose( months of vibration on the water.

Interesting to know.......thanks.....

I am probably over thinking this and making it harder than it has to be.....(I am sometimes obsessive compulsive) Im goin to just screw it into the top of the rubrail with self tapping stainless screws. I will use the smallest I feel comfortable with this way I can change to larger screws if I need a future bail out...........Then if that fails I can drill all the way through the otherside of the rubrail and use nuts and bolts.........Gets me out of the driveway and back in the water quicker.............Thanks for the advice...it is much appreciated