ssnephew

Sintra Material

I just started to mess around with this stuff, I got some from a local sign shop owner. The only thing is that the thickest he had was 1/4". So working it just like wood I glued some together using some thin CA glue, I found a website were someone did some testing and to my surprise that was the best for glue this board together! To my amazement CA glue bond this stuff in like .00002 seconds flat.

Any pointers on this material?

Any issues on painting this material?

I just started to mess around with this stuff, I got some from a local sign shop owner. The only thing is that the thickest he had was 1/4". So working it just like wood I glued some together using some thin CA glue, I found a website were someone did some testing and to my surprise that was the best for glue this board together! To my amazement CA glue bond this stuff in like .00002 seconds flat.

Any pointers on this material?

Any issues on painting this material?

From Wikipedia.

Cyanoacrylate glue has a low shearing strength, which has also led to its use as a temporary adhesive in cases where the piece can easily be sheared off at a later time. Common examples include mounting a workpiece to a sacrificial glue block on a lathe and also tightening pins and bolts.

:twocents:Scuffing it up and using D2T would be stronger, in the long run.

Whats great about Sintra is that it won't absorb a drop of water so no sealing is needed. It holds screws well, but as you're using 2 halves, the screws would be right on the seam, which may compromise the bond. You can drill and use epoxied in, small dowels to reenforce the bond. That should only take second, but would bolster the bond.

BTW, it does com in thicker sheets.

Thanks for the info! So far the shaping and messing around with the stuff actually works pretty easy. Yeah I read about the thicker stuff but have yet to find any small quantity and cheap, I dont want buy a big ol sheet of this only to find out I dont like working with it.

Thanks for the info! So far the shaping and messing around with the stuff actually works pretty easy. Yeah I read about the thicker stuff but have yet to find any small quantity and cheap, I dont want buy a big ol sheet of this only to find out I dont like working with it.

Srounge as much as you can!!! When you get a bunch, laminate some together, in various thicknesses. Like I said, a dowel or two epoxied in, before shaping, will add a lot of structural reinforcement. The stuff is very durable and it floats.

One key benefit is that there is consistency with the stuff.

I'm sure you'll like it.

I throw 3/8 thick small pieces away everyday Weld-on glue for PVC is what is recommended for this stuff.

I have mentioned before that I will send anyone some for shipping costs, The weld-on you will need to get because I cannot mail it, bad thing is I do not know if you can buy it in small containers less the one gal.

To call Sintra and see if there is a supplier near you call 1-800-626-3365 ( They do not sell the glue but the suppliers that sell the sintra do.)

Sintra comes in about 12 colors, most you have to order a few sheets to get a certain color, I have Black.

I will even glue it together to the thickness and cut to a certain size for anyone.

Edited by Predator Bass Baits