jamie

swimbait nightmare

well I was done with the first ever swimbait and was e-texing the last coat and then it happened, I dropped it on the sawdust infested floor.I tried to wipe it up, the more I wiped the more my blood pressure went up. So I did what any other lure maker in my shoes would do got made throwed it away and started over. Here is todays start. I still need to sand some more and trim the joints back so they wont rub. This was a dry fit to see if the pins were true. If you look you cansee the beads I was talking about in a past post. I just wish I had some smaller beads so my hinge hole wasnt so big. It was all I had when I was making musky spinners. This bait will be crappie colored when I finish.

I like it. If you dont like the holes. Cover them with a pop can or vent tape or wood. Might be harder but maybe you could still line up the beads if you used a drilled hole instead. I do like the way it looks. fish might think it just a black dot or kill spot.

Those joints are sharp, I really like the beads. What about beads on top and bottom of the screw eyes, have tried that? Get that bait out of the trash and sand it down to the first coat, then re-apply the e-tex and add some glitter. The fish could care less about a little saw dust mixed with glitter.

Jamie, you should retrieve the ruined lure and use it for testing. You get the opportunity to experiment with different weight combinations and locations. Valuable information, normally not available, as such lures take so much effort to build, very few would be willing to committ to that amount of work purely for testing.

Jamie,

First, save that "ruined" lure! Too much work to just toss it.

Second, what kind of a paint scheme are you going to use for your crappie?

I just did a black crappie in a new way.

I did the belly and lower body silver, and the mid, upper and back black, and then used drywall mesh to put a scale pattern over the base on the sides with silver. It really makes the lure light up, just like a black crappie in full spawn colors. I did two, one as described, and the second with some irridescent green over the silver scale and black back. Just enough to give it a slightly green cast. Then spray silver Krylon glitter.

It really shines.

Jamie.............Gett he old lure back and even if you don't use it, keep it for reference. You still might be able to salvage it though. Sand it until all the sawdust is smooth then start over with the painting again. If you made a good bait, a little sawdust shouldn't stand in your way.

Also....................never topcoat/paint near where you do your sanding/cutting. If you do, make sure the room is clean.

Thanks guys I going to work on it some more this weekend if time will allow it. I did have a second plan of attack on a new lure that Im working on at the same time as this one . The lure has the same shape and style as this one ,but the hinge will be a little different. Will post pics when I get all the joints ready for a dry fit.

Benton, I'm sure Jamie will correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the double beads would be uneccessary, as the single bead on the top limits travel one way, and the bottom limits travel in the other....
You are right on the money, tried it on the old bait and it swam great.

If you ever drop a bait like that again, get some paper-towels and wipe all the etex off and then set it aside to dry. When the bait is dry, you can primer it again and repaint or just etex over the top again. Make sure you are wearing gloves to keep the etex off your skin.

Great looking lure you have there, I like the shape, you are doing a nice clean job.

RM

Jamie,

Don't beat yourself up too badly about it.

I've found we all learn best from our own mistakes.

Part of learing to control my temper came with realizing the consequences, so just think of this as a learning experience.

And try not to get too pissed thinking of the trash man catching big fish on you bait!

Mark im over it now Im working on the remakes now. I was more mad of the time wasted than the lure itself. Just trying to find the time , with a 6 year old in the house its hard to find the time for anything else. between work and my best little buddy , lure making takes a back seat. There will always be time later for lures but my little guy is only little once and I will gladly play tee ball or take bike rides while he will still let me.