carver

Sanding Lexan

I bought a small sheet of lexan from home depot to use for bills. It was about 1/8" thick. I sanded down the thickness of the bill on that portion that was not epoxied into the bill slot. It worked well, but sanding "clouded" up the top half of the bill.

Is there any way to get the clarity of the lexan back?....heat....or some type of compund I can rub in?

Regular PMMA-acrylic like Plexiglas is often polished with heat (like a acetylene-torch or similar) but Polycarbonate like Lexan needs to be polished to get shiney again. At work Im using a polish-compound specially made for Plexiglas, which is distributed by our local Evonik/Degussa/Röhm (Plexiglas) -dealer, but I dont remeber the brandname of it. Most polish-compounds will do the job quite well but make sure that you try it out on a spare-Lexanpart before you use it on your actual lure-part.

Use a drop of oil with the last go with the fine abrasive paper, or soapy water, if you don't want oil near your lure.

Cutting compounds like T-cut (for cleaning up car paint blemishes) or brasso work well for the next stage. If you use the dremel wheel, go very careful, or you will end up with an uneaven surface, which will not look good. The dremel wheel works with brasso too, but do it outside, as it sprays everywhere, but it does work.