SmokeyJ

Plastic Lure eyes compatible with acetone?

Well, subject pretty much says it all. I am currently using a prop/acetone sealer and topcoat and was wondering if anyone knows if the topcoat would be compatible with typical plastic craft eyes, or will I need to use glass?

Also, from what I have gathered from my search on eyes, I narrowed down sizes for typical bass lures to 5mm and 7mm. Which do most prefer?

Thanks!

Nothing plastic is compatible with acetone, including the adhesive on the 3D eyes. If you're dipping it may not have too much effect since acetone evaporates quickly and you aren't wiping it across the eye. But it will cloud a plastic or polycarbonate lip. Have you considered painting the eyes? They may not "pop" like 3D eyes but can look good if neatly done. There's alot of back and forth about how predator fish regard eyes, their size and position but I haven't noticed any advantage of one over the other in terms of getting bites. I always fit 3D eyes into a shallow socket so they'll stay put under normal use and because I don't like the "pop eye" look of just sticking them on the side of the head.

As far as size, I keep a selection and choose the size and color based on the particular bait. 5 and 7 mm would be appropriate for smal/med and larger bass baits.

Well, that comment about nothing plastic being compatible with acetone isn't entirely true; my acetone came in a plastic bottle :)

I have no problem with painting the eyes on, there are just certain lures that I like the look of a 3d eye in an eye socket. I don't really think using plastic/glass eyes matters that much to the fish, I just like the way they look.

Thanks for your help.