DanCampbell

Rookie top coat question

Several TUers use Dick Nite moisture cured polyurethane (check it out by clicking on the banner ad that's often at the top of this page). I know similar polys are sold as floor finishes but I think DN poly is probably thinner. Another consideration is yellowing. It's not too big a deal when applying poly over interior wood floors but can be a biggie on a white bait. I think a tough poly with UV inhibitors might do OK though.

Dan, I have a quite few old lures in the shed, which were made and used about 25 years ago (and sooner) on which I used floor lacquer as a finish. I recently had a look at them and they are still brand new, but as Bob says they have yellowed a bit- this is not that noticable on darker colours, and if using them yourself, who cares. The good thing about this stuff (compared to brittle D2T) ,is it is very tough, or what I would call 'stroft', strong but soft. And cheap.!!! pete

I am in the concrete coatings industry and there are good polyurethane products that are UV stable. We don't use epoxy for exterior surfaces because it yellows. Even in garages, the first couple feet of the garage will yellow on an epoxy floor. Granted, I live in Arizona and we have more UV than anywhere else.

Polyurethane that we use is superior to epoxy. It's dual component, 60+% solids. Try Veron 246 Polyurethane. It's resistant to UV, chemicals, everything. It's what they use in airport hangers.

It's not cheap, however. Gunna set you back about $120-$150 per 1 gallon.

I've used water based urethane on wood flooring and it works OK but I'm suspicious that it might absorb water and turn white on a crankbait (it goes on milky looking and dries clear). As far as thinning a floor epoxy, I don't like acetone because it is volatile and flashes out of the coating very quickly, not to mention it eats plastic. I'm thinking virgin lacquer thinner would be better but reading the instructions might tell you the best solvent.

there is a poly from the Plaid company sold under the brand FolkArt at places like AC Moore...........it is non yellowing and made for outdoor use which I guess means it is ok under UV. It is pretty cheap and not to stinky. I bought an 8 oz container a few weeks ago because it looked thin enough to spray in my badger air brush. Eventually when I get some free time I will experiment with it and post the results.