Shane8stud

Lots of help needed

Ok I hope someone on here really feels like being a mentor right now. I'm about to buy an airbrush gun to start painting my own lures.I have a few questions on what I need to really get a good start at this.

1. My dad has a huge air compressor, will this work for airbrushing? if so what will i need to make it work for an airbrush setup?

2.what will i need to strip down lures paint? and repaint them? what are the steps?

3.will a 60-70$ gun work? good enough to make me not wanna stop airbrushing right after i start?haha

4.what color paints do i really need, what type of paints do what? and do you just put the paint into the gun or do you have to mix something with something or what? step by step please?

5.How should i go about making a very cheap drying contraption?

6.can you give me a pretty good idea of how to just set up everything step by step? from hook up the compressor to the right psi to getting painting to finsishing? I really need to know everything. Any info will be most appreciated. thanks

I'm also a pretty talented artist so hopefully this also come pretty natural to me, we'll see but it sounds like a great hobby. thanks guys

Ok I hope someone on here really feels like being a mentor right now. I'm about to buy an airbrush gun to start painting my own lures.I have a few questions on what I need to really get a good start at this.

1. My dad has a huge air compressor, will this work for airbrushing? if so what will i need to make it work for an airbrush setup?

2.what will i need to strip down lures paint? and repaint them? what are the steps?

3.will a 60-70$ gun work? good enough to make me not wanna stop airbrushing right after i start?haha

4.what color paints do i really need, what type of paints do what? and do you just put the paint into the gun or do you have to mix something with something or what? step by step please?

5.How should i go about making a very cheap drying contraption?

6.can you give me a pretty good idea of how to just set up everything step by step? from hook up the compressor to the right psi to getting painting to finsishing? I really need to know everything. Any info will be most appreciated. thanks

I'm also a pretty talented artist so hopefully this also come pretty natural to me, we'll see but it sounds like a great hobby. thanks guys

1. Will work fine. Just don't blast it @ 120psi ;)

2. Most of what I do is repainted customs. I just scuff them with 220 grit, paying special attention to areas around bills and loops, and the very tail.

3. Yep, they will. Besides fine work, I still use cheap ole Pasche VL kits($80 for the gun, bottles, 3 tips & needles, and a good airline) for priming, base colors, and masked work.

4. Createx makes a descent starter kit. Though I prefer their AutoAir series with their basecoat primers, the regular Createx works fine. Colors beyond that depends on what you want to paint. Realistic or stock repros. Lots of flourescent and pearl colors if you want to do something like stock repros, or earthen/natural colors if you want to do realistics.

5. For base colors, at least. Get one of those storage bins with a snap on lid. Cut a hole in the center and put the outlet of a 1200-1500W hair drier in there. Drill holes on each end and run dowell through to hang lures. $25 set-up. If you're using a clear system that needs rotating while curing, that's a whole different story.

6. All depends. I shoot most colors at 30-40psi. Some at 70. Depends on the color, type of paint, and level of detail.

Edited by Downriver Tackle