snookin4

DIY fluid bed?

I saw the other past on this but, does anyone have plans/instructions to make their own Fluid bed for powder paint? I haven't seen one up close, but they just look like a chamber to allow air through the bottom of the paint. Seems like you could just rig up an air chamber and create your own size one. I was thinking that a coffee filter may even work as the membrane for air to pass through.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried this.

I would seriously like to build my own fluid bed. I think it would need to be about 4in x 18in and 3in deep. I will not be doing jigheads any smaller than 1/8 oz. and no larger than 7/8 oz. Not unless i need to do some of the 1 1/2 oz. Do-It Style"9"Shad Head Jigs.

If im not mistaken the amount of paint only needs to be deep enought to cover the collar of the jig. So if i have a fluid bed that is actually capable of holding 3 inches of powder would it still be okay if i only use two inches of powder paint.

What about the powder settling into and "clogging" the pourous material in the bottom of the fluid bed. Cavu is experiencing this type of problem. One solution he came up with was to try and use compressed air and blow the powder back out of the material. He commented that he would report back and let us know how it worked once he tried it.

• Like 1

I think that 2 inches would be sufficient, what I did at first is turn on the air, and then pour in my powder, this way you won't get too much. If you have to get three inches of coverage depth wise, you should make your bed atleast 4 inches depth to avoid spillage.

I think that itf you bought the screens that they were talking about in the other fluid bed forum page 2, you could cut one in half, and put the 2 together, you would have a great size for doing a couple of rows of big jigs, 3 of small.

Wasn't there some pics/formula posted on here for a single dip bed? I had some 4" PVC and made a bed in about 10 minutes. Problem was, the pump for a 30 gallon tank did not produce enough pressure to float the powder. I dialed down my compressor and got some better results, but wouold still like to get a formula from one of you...PLEASE?

I want to thank donkjc2 with all your help on the fluid bed building process. It took me awhile to get it. I guess ( I`m thick headed at times):huh:

I`m going to build my own fluid bed tomorrow. Only one more question, How big does the lexan have to be ?

I see in your pictures it sticks way out past the fluid bed.

Thanks, PaBasser:yay:

I saw the other past on this but, does anyone have plans/instructions to make their own Fluid bed for powder paint? I haven't seen one up close, but they just look like a chamber to allow air through the bottom of the paint. Seems like you could just rig up an air chamber and create your own size one. I was thinking that a coffee filter may even work as the membrane for air to pass through.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried this.

component paint systems has the membrain filters that is where i got mine i i uesd 3 inch pvc pipe and pvc flat end cap i drilled small hole on side of end cap for airline

man what a site this is I have only been here a few days and have learned so many things!!! I really like the way everyone is so helpful and willing to share their info with everyone. This is really a breath of fresh air in todays world. I am "hooked" on this site for sure. Thanks to everyone that has answered my questions and to all those that will be answering all my stupid questions.

Mike:yay: :yay:

gfpsr hi spinnerman you can get the material from component paint.com the also sell the cups with the waffers in then are buy the waffers seperate.i think the cups sell for $12 apeace hey guys i cant find these anywhere could you post the link please? thank you.

Go and get a short peace of 2" abs pipe, one 2" coupling and one 2" test cap, and abs glue and 1/4 water valve. cut the pipe one 4" long and one 1/2" long. glue the short peace in the coupling and glue the test cap to that so one side is closed. drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom side next to the closed side and screw the 1/4" valve in the hole it will thread its self. for the filter take a brown bag 2"x4"x8" used for a sack lunch. put it on top of the coupling and push the pipe in holding the bag in place. add your air supply to the 1/4" fitting and turn it on with powder in it. Only about 1/2 the cup it will add volume with air. It will take practice to get air adjusted might make a mess your first time but live and learn. good luck!!!

Thanks a lot! One question, regarding the paper bag. Do I cut a square out of it or simply place the whole bag over the coupling. Won't the bottom of the bag where all the glued flaps are interfere with air flow? I'm also assuming you trim away the excess bag material. Sorry, just trying to visualize this.

I'm assuming ABS is a better material to use than PVC. I know ABS fittings tend to "Dry fit" into each other better at any rate.

What size aquarium pump have you guys settled on for a fluid bed this size?

Thanks very much for your time and valuable info on this.

just rip it in half use the 4x8 side lay it flat on the coupling and shove the pipe in. Cut the excess off with a razer bade. On the ABS being better it isnt works the same just cheaper! It isnt pressure rated like PVC just drain pipe. On the aquarium pump one with two ports is enough for a 2" fluid bed. Use a tee to connect the to sides if there isnt enough air. If you get a bigger pump you might be able to run two fluid beds on one pump. PS dayooper on this site makes a good fluid bed that every one loves. I dont know him but he is regarded highly on this site. That tells the story for me! always helps. also he sells powder paint.

OK, Built one this weekend and it worked like gangbusters. The paper bag membrane works very well. I also used male and female threaded adapters to hold it in place as recommended elsewhere on here.

I had a double discharge type air pump and simply tee'd the lines together to a surplus ice maker water valve which worked well to modulate air flow.

I glued the bottom cap onto a 2X3 reducing coupling for a stable base.

Overall, very satisfied and I want to thank you guys for the help and guidance. :worship:

Best regards all. :yeah:

I still can't find the base material for the fluid beds. I tried to order porous polypropylene from Small Parts.com and they discontinued it. Does anyone know where to get this stuff? I want to be able to change colors quickly and use just a couple bases. Paper is a hassle when your doing tons of jigs!

Thanks