BJBarron

Davis Crankbaits.....

Does anyone know what kind of wood davis uses on there crankbaits?? I really like there shallow divers plus they are supper strong. I wanted for a long time to take one apart but i just couldn't tare one of mine apart becaue they were a gift. My father in law finally tore one apart (bridge coulmn). Well i chipped the paint off and i noticed it has groves in it where they milled it from a master copy. the hooks are held in by eye screws belly and tale. one peice design. also it has no belly weights any where and with out the screws and bill it flots on its side. How does this thing swim??? I know for shure its not balsa its to hard. just wanted to know if anyone has any idea.:sauced:

I've made 2.5" and 3' cranks out of basswood that required no ballast. The hardware and the (metal) diving lip balanced them out perfect. Don't ask me how I did it, it was a surprising accident.....lol.... but a recreatable one. I've probably made 30 or so with the same result. However, I haven't tried a plastic lip on these particular lures.

Jay

To me those baits look like they are all the same!!! wow that is interesting... I almost feel ripped off. I think the wood is basswood i havent tried bass wood yet. Ill try it this weekend. I noticed that with the davis crank something was up with the way it ran i dont care what you do to it it want run true. but it still run good and catches fish. but i did get a suprise when i took of the paint and see that there was no weights. i know if you dont put weight in a balsa crank it will go crazy and do everything you dont want it to do.lol i have been there when i first started....:pissed:

I am pretty positive that those baits are made from Jelutong or Paulownia wood. The eye screws ,hooks, and bill are probably enough ballast to keep the bait from rolling over, On the deeper diver version there is also a lead tab in the bill that would also help the bait run correctly!! I have taken a couple of these baits apart as well and the wood is definetly not balsa. If you take the Davis bait and the Sisson bait and put them side by side they are identical even the prefabbed lips have the exact same injection molding marks on them. I have brought this up before on another board and got into a pissing match with someone who was "in the know" with the Davis Company and he said that the baits were made by a third party not Sisson Lures. I think otherwise!

Craig, I agree. They're the same right down to the lip angle. What are the chances that 2 companies would independently come up with precisely identical body shapes, hardware and lips? Zero. Sisson advertises that his baits are made from Jelutong, except for the P-20 model in balsa. He made baits for a BUNCH of companies before starting Sisson Lures. Obviously, Davis was one of them.

Edited by BobP