rockmike

Plastic Head Jigs

Resin might work, if the mold seals well, if not, it will run out all over your bench, so best put some plastic sheet down first.

Resin is a bit on the brittle side, but quite cheap. Fibreglass resin (polyester) has a purple tint to it,I pay $3 per litre. It is possible to get a clear, colorless resin, but it is much more expensive. Try craft shops.

The resins used by the hard baits boys (alumilite) might be less brittle, not too sure. But for small jig heads, I doubt that the brittleness will be a problem. Try a search.

What type of plastic are you planning to use?

Dave

Resin might work, if the mold seals well, if not, it will run out all over your bench, so best put some plastic sheet down first.

Resin is a bit on the brittle side, but quite cheap. Fibreglass resin (polyester) has a purple tint to it,I pay $3 per litre. It is possible to get a clear, colorless resin, but it is much more expensive. Try craft shops.

The resins used by the hard baits boys (alumilite) might be less brittle, not too sure. But for small jig heads, I doubt that the brittleness will be a problem. Try a search.

What type of plastic are you planning to use?

Dave

I'm looking for input, since I don't have any experience with this. First, if the plastic will release from the molds, and then what material to use.

Resin releases from RTV molds without too much fuss. I usually add a smear of petroleum gel, but even when I forget, sticking is minimal.

The density of resin is about 1.2, so it is only just heavier than water, this might be an issue for you. But this will be true for all plastics, unless they are mixed with something heavier, maybe tungsten powder, don't know where you'll get it though. I suggest you tie a lump of plastic on and try it first, before getting too involved.

I know the resin can be colored, again craft shops that deal with molding products (chess pieces etc) will be able to help. Try a google search on coloring resins.

Maybe others will be able to help with other kinds of hard plastic, I've only experienced polyester resins.

Good luck and post your results, good or bad, so others my benefit from your experience.

Dave

Try using Sculpey polymer clay. It isnt really clay.....it is a polymer plastic. If works like silly putty. You can press it into the cavity then pop it out. It needs to go in the oven at 285 for 20 minutes. It comes in all sorts of colors so you wouldnt have to paint them and it is real cheap in the craft stores. Also...I dont think it is toxic in any way.......I have used this stuff to make eyes for lures.......