CL Rods

Bass colors

OK, I keep working on templates, and masks to improve on variations of 'bream', 'sunfish' and bass.

But being color blind I keep struggling with the shading and colors of painting bass. They vary so widely just like there cousins (bream) that I just can't seem to get the blended colors I want.

So any help would be apreciated in which gold you might use on the sides, back and shoulders. I have been using Createx satin gold and like it for the most part. I have used a bronze craft paint that works pretty well also. Then comes the problems once I start layering for the back/shoulders.

The big question is, what are the various shading of green and brown you are using for large mouth/spots and which for small mouth. If it is Createx all the better, but I am open to any suggestions.

I have come up with a couple of templates I use for patterning the back and for the lateral lines that I really like, but OY! I just end up with either too much brite green or way to much light or dark brown.

I tend to like the green when I am spraying but once I get it out in daylight versus under flourescent light. It is always too green.

So if you don't mind sharing I am all ears (well I guess eyes):lol:

Let me know if you think the colors are ok on this bait before I clear it.

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.JPG

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.JPG

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.JPG

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.JPG

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.JPG

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.JPG

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.JPG

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.JPG

3796_thumb.attach

3797_thumb.attach

The actual color of the bass here in the midwest really varies from lake to lake and season. Some have a gold hue and others more white. I use a badger metallic green for the dark green and a createx translucent green for the lighter area. I like the createx pearl copper for the gold shading and leave some white showing on the belly, and a red chin. This isn't a very good pic, but you get the idea.

DSCN0523.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

3798_thumb.attach

the bait in the pic looks like a pretty good bream pattern to me. I wish my bluegill looked that good. I not much of a bait fish painter but bass patterns tend to look good to me with dark greens over pearl white. A light mist of iridescent gold over the back is a nice touch.

Take a look at the paints from WASCO, they have some specific colors just for the bass.

Edited by benton B

You're right about color variation - the lake, the depth, the cover they're using all figure into it. I think we seldom get it exactly right - but "sorta close" will usually get bit. I shoot mostly shades of green over a cream/bone color, with black side markers, thinking that bright colored bass are usually shallow to medium depth and around green vegetation. Light Bass Green (a yellowish light green) near the belly, bright green shoulders, then black/green back. I shoot a misting of Wildlife Color pearl chrome over the sides, nose and back to "unify" everything and give it some iridescence and shadow. I like your bluegill pattern except the fish here (piedmont NC) seem to have a bit less blue on them.

You're right about color variation - the lake, the depth, the cover they're using all figure into it. I think we seldom get it exactly right - but "sorta close" will usually get bit. I shoot mostly shades of green over a cream/bone color, with black side markers, thinking that bright colored bass are usually shallow to medium depth and around green vegetation. Light Bass Green (a yellowish light green) near the belly, bright green shoulders, then black/green back. I shoot a misting of Wildlife Color pearl chrome over the sides, nose and back to "unify" everything and give it some iridescence and shadow. I like your bluegill pattern except the fish here (piedmont NC) seem to have a bit less blue on them.

BobP, the bluegill that bait was patterned after came from photos taken of 'bluegills' from the pond at Bass Pro Shops at Concord Mills!

We took a couple of photos and I took the patterns from 3 fish and made one from that hybid image in my head. Overall I would agree, perhaps a touch too much blue.

Matt, I need to put bills into the those early bait blanks I got from you. The bass I have painted like 10 times :pissed: is one of your blanks also. It is about the best physical shape for a bass that I have seen and that is why I want to do it right. It would be a waste to not paint it up as pretty as your baits are. :worship: