borderbasser

RTV choices for molds

Ok, I know I said in an earlier post that I was not interested in molding baits, but I am giving it further consideration. Anyway, I am looking at some different RTV Silicones and not sure which one to get. The only thing I am wanting to mold are swimbaits so there is the issue of undercuts in the hinge area and fins below the center line of the bait. My question is, what durometer rating do I need to find the perfect combination of flexibility and tear strength because of the undercuts? I would prefer RTV that mixes @ a 1:1 by volume since I don't have a scale. I am considering Oomoo 25 or 30 since I have used it in the past for soft plastic molds. Would this one be reccomended? I am also considering 74-30 from US composites since I am planning on order their casting resin. Does anyone have any experience with this one? Both products have a shore A 30. Can anyone weigh in on either of these two products, or reccomendations of others? Thanks guys.

TJ

Ok, I know I said in an earlier post that I was not interested in molding baits, but I am giving it further consideration. Anyway, I am looking at some different RTV Silicones and not sure which one to get. The only thing I am wanting to mold are swimbaits so there is the issue of undercuts in the hinge area and fins below the center line of the bait. My question is, what durometer rating do I need to find the perfect combination of flexibility and tear strength because of the undercuts? I would prefer RTV that mixes @ a 1:1 by volume since I don't have a scale. I am considering Oomoo 25 or 30 since I have used it in the past for soft plastic molds. Would this one be reccomended? I am also considering 74-30 from US composites since I am planning on order their casting resin. Does anyone have any experience with this one? Both products have a shore A 30. Can anyone weigh in on either of these two products, or reccomendations of others? Thanks guys.

TJ

TJ,

DON"T get the 74-30. :nono: It is NOT Silicone. You have to use mold Release with it and it's not as forgiving as Silicone!

You should be fine with any Silicone in the 25 - 30 range,

While you're getting the Resin, Get MB's. And get 2 of the $9 or get the Big size, because they're not readily available!:twocents: