Tally

Small paint shaker

Recently had a friend tell me that you can get the old paint shaker motors from places like Lowe's or Home Depot for a couple of dollars when they swap them out prior to failure. I'm sure you could rig it up to shake your smaller containers easily.

Maze

Be careful with using BB's in you paint, the copper can leach into your paint. Tried it in enamel fingernail polish (great for ultra-lite jigs) and in the lighter colors it dis-colored the "paint". Probably wouldn't matter in the dark colors. If you have access to labratory equipment they have excellent mixers and magnetic stirrers.

Just had a thought. Yeah, I know, that's frightening enough in it's own right! Thanks guys ! Seriously now. George, stop laughing ! There was an article in RodMaker magazine on making a mixer for finish epoxy. This little unit just might work perfectly if modified and patience is available. Not a fast mix, but then speed isn't the issue, a good blending of components is! There is also another mixer for marine epoxy shown in detail on the West Systems web site. Again, this may not be ideal, but it may be "good enough for gov't work", as the saying goes. Of course, if it was gov't purchase, it would be about $400, I'm guessing. lol Please forgive the twisted humor today guys, I just took my son's dog to the Cornell Veterinary Research Hospital for Emergency surgery. It's a 2 hour ride in good weather, no, not today! Add to that, forgetting my pain meds(spinal injury), a torrential rain storm, $1900 up front, and driving home hungry(forgot cash) and in narcotic withdrawl from not taking my meds. Tough day? Nah, just the norm for me. If it warms up a bit, I just might get to fish! Hey George, it's official, I am now a fully retired Police Officer. It came at a price, but it got here early! lol Good luck and God Bless everyone!

Maze

World?s Smallest Vibrator

This vibrating motor, with an eccentric weight on the shaft, replaces the one we considered the world?s smallest! Without the shaft, the tiny 3/16" square motor is only 7/16? long, smaller than most medicine capsules. It has a 3/16" long shaft, (2) small terminal clips at the back, and a removable rubber housing. It weighs in at 1.3 grams, takes 1?1/2 to 3 VDC, draws about 150 mA and will spin at approx 400 rpm. This amazing little gem is from a vibrating pager, and will be great with battery or solar power. The offset cam is easily removed. Think about automation on that model railroad!!

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?category=171

34568 VIBRATING DC MOTOR $3.95 / PKG(2)

Coloey

I have a dewalt sawzall that the switch went bad in and so I put a regular light switch in , yes it looks funny , so now I have an excuse to use it as a paint shaker and go buy a new Hilti sawzall . Great idea !!! I havent moved into my new shop yet but I can tell I am going to need a bigger one already .

I know this is an older thread, but I have 4 of these...and my oldest is almost 3yrs old.

This is a hobby paint bottle/jar shaker which can be found here

http://www.micromark.com

it's item #27162

I tried posting a direct link but thier site error'd out. Just do an item # search it will pull it right up.

I hope this helps someone out.

Funny Farm

Let me know how the sawzall works out. I had brain failure the other night and I am looking for a old sewing machine. I won't know for sure until I can find one (cheap) and try to modify it. They have the right motion and they have variable speed. Most important, they are not so noisy.

Tally

It really amazes me what we all can come up with, who would have thought of using a jig saw !! or a sewing machine !! AMAZING stuff, I have both in the shed.

I have been strapping mine (with elastic bands) to my drying wheel with a few ball bearigs in the paint, works well, but not near as quick as a jig saw. Keep it coming, pete