Piscivorous Pike

Inexpensive lure locks

My favorite presentations for Pike require nose hooking several styles of jerk baits. I found two styles of locks save lures from tear My favorite presentations for Pike require nose hooking several styles of jerk baits. I found two styles of locks save lures from tear offs and wear.

By screwing a section of spring across the head and driving the hook through the center is one, the other is screwing the end of a spring into the end of the bait which is the classic method. After fitting either to a lure a moment with a torch lighter on bare metal melts the lock into the lure. To retain the lock with a wire loop aroung the hook I place a small piece of bicycle inner tube or some other rubber over the hook and that will prevent the wire from slipping off the hook shank.

A tension spring is stretched out then THREE turns of wire are clipped off from both ends. Then three turn sections are clipped out of the middle of the stretched spring.

I got lucky; someone broke a 50 pound box of these tension springs open in a freight parking lot several years ago. I filled a fast foot 44 oz beverage cup with them and have been wondering what to do with them. The last 6 months for me has lead to the development of a few soft jerk baits and a technique. These locks should help keep the attrition rate down.

Sorry about the camo background in the photo!

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Photo exceeds 600 x400 pxls

Rats, I post on several forums and today I fouled up the size differences and got the photo deleted here. Oh, well, try again:

lockow1.jpg

I never would have thought about these locks if I had not run into it at TU. The only place close by to test these things is man made water, they work well except there is NO fish in the impoundement! Fishing in swimming pools gets some stares, but you all are worth it, I can live with it.

Edited by Piscivorous Pike