CL Rods

How thin a polycarbonate lip works for you?

Most home stores are selling .093 Lexan/Polycarbonate sheets. But you can find it pretty thin on web sites. I'm not fond of cutting it out due to a lack of a band saw, so I was curious as to how thin everyone is using.

I think Hazmail was using some real thin stuff for some of his lips, is anyone else? OnlineMetals Order Plastic Polycarbonate Sheet in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com sells it fairly cheap so I was thinking of trying both .03 and .06. They also have a .04!

Ditto what Benton says. I use 1/16" (.0625") on all bass baits. Whichever you choose, I suggest you stick with one for awhile. Changing thickness will change the lure weight and balance on subsequent baits considerably. That in turn requires changes in ballast amount and position, so you end up starting from scratch in perfecting a design through multiple prototypes. The 1/16" seems like a good median thickness. Polycarbonate is somewhat flexible so thinner stuff will flex more on long lips (good or bad, you be the judge! I think it's bad). For short lips, it won't matter much.

Edited by BobP

As BobP says on longer lips you may get a bit off flex with 'flat' thin Poly, but you could make a slight bend down the centre line and this should give it rigidity.

To bend it see post #7

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/11055-bending-lexan.html

I usually use 1mm (1/24") and this stands up to being belted around on the bottom, in fact I think it's flexabilit may save them from a few dings. Having a bend down the middle, you could also glue it into the lure, concave up or down, which would change the action and depth of an identical lure. pete