matt duarte

i think i did this right?

ok well i started to seal my baits, i sealed them with this

i soaked the pieces in the hardener for a lil over 10 seconds and i put about 4 or 5 coats..(trying to play it safe) and this is how the baits look now

the coat that goes on isnt thick at at...i do notice a little glaze over the bait..just wondering if it sounds like i did this right..

also can i sand the bait a little bit after the sealer and have it still be sealed? or would i have to add another coat...sooo if i did this right it should be ready for paint and top coat.....

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Rule 3 violation

good deal dude thanks!.. after i soaked them once it really didnt looks like it did anything so i just kept doing it till they got some what of a glossy finish.. i really hope it holds... but i guess the top coat is another protector that goes on so it shoud be fine.... next step is to drop the lures off at my buddys house for paint....i dont have a airbrush

Hi Matt

A sealer is just that it seals the wood. The fact you have a slight glaze I think just indicates the wood aint gonna take any more. I think you are going to have to smooth off with a finishing abrasive of some description before applying a primer and undercoat of paint. Nice job :yay:

matt,

If you soak the pieces for ten minutes, one coat should be enough.

It is a penetrating wood preservative.

When you put it in to soak, you should see it chasing little air bubbles out of the wood as it penetrates the wood cells. Once it cures in there, any other coats are just surface, since the wood itself is now sealed.

After you let the first coat cure for 24 hours, lightly sand the surface, and you're ready to prime and paint.

A tip. Avoid touching the lure with your bare fingers. Finger print oil screws up paint and top coats.

Either handle the lure with a rag, or use disposable latex gloves (thank you Pete).

I use a glove on my left hand, since I'm right handed and do most of the painting with my right hand.

I hold the lure, or lure parts, in my left hand, clamped in a pair of forcepts or needle nose vice grips, while I paint it with my right hand. No "human" contact with the lure itself. I hang it on opened up paper clips over my work bench between coats, so I can use both hands to clean the air brush and reload it.

By avoiding the human touch, I don't have any "fish eye" problems from oil contamination.