rjbass

New Clearcoat from DT????

Question for DT...

Haven't heard anymore about your new clear coat you were working on???? Any update???

Rod :?

I'm getting there. I have all the samples of ingredients, just haven't had time to put it together. All my time is spent painting everyone else's baits, and posting here between coats. LOL Now I bought a fishing hideaway and have even less time. :yay: Target is to get it formulated completely over the winter, then beat the crap out of a few test baits when the local river thaws. Lots of rocks there! :) If all goes well, I'll be sampling it late spring.

I've decided to go with the non-yellowing epoxy. Too much of an investment in this economy for the UV curable system.

I'll also mention that one key benefit I hope to formulate into it is an anti-mar/abrasion additive that also helps with leveling like glass. Essentially, when cured, it will feel like the bait is freshly waxed. A nice wet look, and very slick on the surface as opposed to how epoxies usually are anything but slippery. One drawback may be that it may not be immediately recoatable with a second coat of clear, but it is intended to be a single coat system anyways. If you get an imperfection, it may need to be wet sanded before a second coat is applied. That's still preliminary though. I'll have to see how it recoats for myself. I still think the benefits will outweight the drawbacks, even if it needs to be wet sanded.

Sounds good.

I wonder if there would be a demand for a clear plastic coating that could be dipped rather than a 2 part epoxy system that needs brushing on. I used a great product in Italy but havent found anything similar over here in the States yet. It was recommended for use on railings and decking. I loved the way it would totally seal the bait in plastic which made it totally waterproof. The real plus was that the longer its left the harder it got but not brittle.